Brass stores

8parktoollover

Brass stores

Post by 8parktoollover »

Hi does anyone have any recommendations for a reputable brass store in the the DC area? I'm looking to purchase a new horn and since it's not a small purchase I want to make sure I buy from a place that has a decent selection and knowledgeable staff.
Thanks
BGuttman

Re: Brass stores

Post by BGuttman »

I removed your second posting of the same topic. You can't see your posts until 2 have been approved by a Moderator. You now have two: one here and one hidden. But you are good to go.

As to stores, I don't personally know of a good DC area store, but Baltimore Brass in newrby Baltimore has a pretty good rep.

If you don't mind a 3 hour drive, Dillon Music in Iselin NJ has some of the best selection on the East Coast.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

I've always found that Chuck Levin's, aka Washington Music Center to be fair. Give Lee a call..
Lee Walkowich, Manager
Band Instrument Sales
Washington Music Center
11151 Veirs Mill Rd
Wheaton, MD 20902
Tel 301-946-8808
Fax 301-946-0487
www.chucklevins.com
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

The thing about Dillon is that they typically have quite a stable of used instruments available to try as well. For example, they currently list for sale: 159 used tenor trombones, 6 demo tenor trombones, and 98 new tenor trombones, 22 used bass trombones, 1 demo, and 31 new bass trombones. I don't think you can do better than Dillon in terms of a "decent selection".

If I were 3 hours away, I'd go there -- and I don't need a new trombone. Alas, for me, it's an 8-hr. trek.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, M&K GR Nickel leadpipe
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

If you can wait until March, I'd highly suggest waiting for ATF. You can try basically anything there!!
SlidemanSailor

Post by SlidemanSailor »

Sounds like the Alice's Restaurant of trombones. Where is it next year?
Intermediate 3rd trombone, always looking for people to play with in the lower-left-corner Montana wilderness.
Mostly: 2006 Conn 88HCL 525/547 bore, rose bell and 1958 Conn 6H
rarely: 1976 Yamaha YSL 354 and ex-middle-school Yamaha euphonium
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

SlidemanSailor wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:55 pm Sounds like the Alice's Restaurant of trombones. Where is it next year?
It's always at ft. Myer.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

The ATW is mid-March every year at the Army Band, Ft Myer VA just outside Washington DC.

The ITF moves around different places but next June 25-29, 2019 it's at Ball State in Indiana.

Both are great opportunities to try almost all the trombone equipment that exists.

There are others - some local trombone festivals, plus the various State Music Educators Conferences, especially TMEA in San Antonio TX in February.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

Doug Elliott wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:23 pm The ATW is mid-March every year at the Army Band, Ft Myer VA just outside Washington DC.

The ITF moves around different places but next June 25-29, 2019 it's at Ball State in Indiana.

Both are great opportunities to try almost all the trombone equipment that exists.

There are others - some local trombone festivals, plus the various State Music Educators Conferences, especially TMEA in San Antonio TX in February.
Is either one of these good if you just want to test drive a lot of different trombones and if so which is better?
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Whichever is closer to you.

ATW generally has all of the American manufacturers, plus a lot of used horns from Baltimore Brass and Dillon.

ITF usually has some of the European makers too .

Many of the Chinese horns are represented at both.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
pfrancis

Post by pfrancis »

If you want to avoid the three hour (plus) drive, check out Baltimore brass. Owned by former principal tuba of Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, and the staff is made up of local freelance professional players.

For trombone specific questions: email [email protected].

Also, ATW is the best place on the east coast to play the most variety in one room. Often nice performances at night too.

Return to “Instruments”