Getzen 351

walldaja

Getzen 351

Post by walldaja »

Was looking for a small bore bone to compliment my .547 Bb / F Courtois. Most usual suspects were the Yamaha 354, King 606, Conn, or Holton. I found a King, a Blessing, and a Getzen that met my criteria--small bore, used, in good shape with a good slide.

I was surprised by the Getzen, as it wasn't even on the radar. I was pleasantly surprised when I played the horn. It certainly seemed easier to play than my Courtois--a lot less air. I liked the tone and really appreciated being able to play it left-handed again.

The horn came with a 6.5 AL Getzen mpc and I had no problem through the range of the horn. Low notes were nice and solid with a big sound. The stockings on the slide are longer than Courtois which is helpful now that I have to use seventh position (Bb / F rarely gets beyond fifth).

Not sure how many are out there. What are your experiences with this horn against the other contenders in the small bore student realm?
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
Bach5G

Re: Getzen 351

Post by Bach5G »

I compared a Getzen 351 with a Yam 354
in a store and thought the 351 was much superior. Higher overall quality, easier to play, more open. The Yam felt very much like a student horn.
Klimchak

Post by Klimchak »

The 351 and 451 are great. I had one as a back up to a 6H a couple of years ago and ended up playing the 451 more often. Plus, the slides are interchangeable with Conn small bore bells, so an inexpensive way to have a back up slide.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Bach5G wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:28 pm I compared a Getzen 351 with a Yam 354
in a store and thought the 351 was much superior. Higher overall quality, easier to play, more open. The Yam felt very much like a student horn.
Just a little nitpick: I'm reluctant to suggest any horn is "higher overall quality" than another horn unless there are many demonstrable physical flaws in a number of that model for a consistent period of time. Especially with student horns and especially used horns. Who knows what happened between the factory and the place demoing the instrument. It isn't uncommon for band stores who sell bulk student horns to put little to no effort into making them suitable for trial, even when they may well do that for a "pro" horn. All bets are off if either were used (and likely abused :weep: ).

That isn't to say your observations are wrong though. I wouldn't be surprised if one played better than another, possibly in every method of observation for them, even if the horns are similar on paper!
mwpfoot

Post by mwpfoot »

Bought a gently used 451 from dj for friend's kid a few years back. I had never heard of it before that purchase but took dj's word for it. VERY well built, and played great. Felt nice to start a kid on something solid yet relatively affordable.

Bought a gently used 351 for another friend's kid off craigslist last night. SAME. Noticed the great compact case design this time. Everything is just right for a middle school kid to start playing and stay at it.

So yeah, very well made student horns, and usually priced lower than the usual student horn suspects in much worse shape. These are now my go-to horns when helping other parents out. I should build a stockpile before word gets out.

:cool:
Trav1s

Post by Trav1s »

Been eyeing one myself and appreciate the thoughts on them.
Travis B.
Trombone player since 1986 and Conn-vert since 2006
1961 24H - LT101/C+/D2
1969 79H - LT102/D/D4
1972 80H - Unicorn
Benge 165F LT102/F+/G8

Return to “Instruments”