Best Trombone/Music Scores Shops Japan?

lobonemike

Best Trombone/Music Scores Shops Japan?

Post by lobonemike »

I will be traveling to Tokyo and Hamamatsu (Town of the Yamaha Factory) next month. Could I please get some suggestions as to which music stores to check out while I'm in the two cities? I am particularly interested in brass sheet music, second hand trombones, parts and mouthpieces.

Thank you!
“Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.” ― Confucius
Neo Bri

Re: Best Trombone/Music Scores Shops Japan?

Post by Neo Bri »

Best of luck in your travels. I can't help you, but when I was there it was a truly amazing place to be. And the food...so gooooooood.
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

You can visit Yamaha store for mouthpieces. They sell everything, not only their pieces. Parts of Yamaha trombone can also be ordered from the store as well. I have no experience in ordering parts of other makes, but Yamaha should also be able to do that for you as well. Secondhand trombone is a bit more difficult. You have to look for independent music store, and quite a large one of that. Still, there is a good chance that they don’t have many horns for you to choose from. Shops don’t like to accept used wind instruments. On the auction sites like Yahoo auction though there is a constant streams of used horns, some good and some just pure scam. But it can be difficult, if not outright impossible, for a foreigner without permanent address to bid. You also cannot test-drive the horn and must judge only by looking.

Yamaha shop at Ginza is a large one if not the largest in Tokyo. You can walk there in 15 minutes from either Ginza station (metro) or Shimbashi station.
Last edited by sirisobhakya on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
Arrowhead

Post by Arrowhead »

The Yamaha shop in Ginza is very good for sheet music, and brass instruments.
Ochanomizu is good place to go for musical instruments. They do sell used trombones there. Keep in mind, they do tend to raise the prices because they are considered imports, but nice to go look at nonetheless. It's about a 1/4 mile walk from the train station. Also near there, is a really good CD and record store
Shin Okubo (one train stop above Shinjuku), has a bunch of music stores that are tucked away in an alley. Once you leave the train station, go left, then make an immediate left, and you'll see a bunch of instrument stores. At least two of them sells trombones. If it's still there definitely go to Yamano Music. It's a store that sells a variety of new trombones. Take your mouthpiece of course. They also have a good deal of sheet music there. Probably the most friendly and easy to deal with, because they don't have a high volume of customers like the Ginza store does. I found the link:
https://livejapan.com/en/in-okubo_takad ... lj0005825/
There's a store in Shibuya that sells trombones (mostly Bachs from what I recall). It's about a 1/4 mile walk from Shibuya station, located on a 2nd floor in a building on a quiet street. I don't recall which exit it is. I'll have to Google and try to pinpoint exactly where it was. Oddly enough, they had a "Earl Williams" poster in the window along with Bach, King, and the typical brands.....
lobonemike

Post by lobonemike »

Thanks for the replies and insights everyone!
“Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.” ― Confucius
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

Look out for Joy Brass ...... The best shop for brass owned by Kazahiro Sanada.
They have just about everything including Rath and Shires!!!
It's the best store I visited and is way better than any of the Yamaha stores for instruments.

http://www.joybrass.co.jp/index.htm
https://www.facebook.com/Joy-Brass-220079651371370/
pogchamp

Post by pogchamp »

Return to “Instruments”