Rath R3/Bach 36BO

Mikebmiller

Rath R3/Bach 36BO

Post by Mikebmiller »

So I have a Rath with an R4 (8 1/2") bell and an R3 (525) slide. I also have a Bach 36 BO, which is essentially the same spec except with an 8" bell. I just noticed that Dillons has a nice looking used R3 bell for $800. So I am considering selling the 36 and buying that bell, as I should come out about $1,000 ahead on the deal and that would finish paying for my new Lawler. Is that a logical move? I love the 36, but it really doesn't make sense to have 2 .525 trigger horns. Is there any advantage to the 36 over an R3? They both sound great. I like the fact that the R3 slide lets me use a large or small shank lead pipe, so if I need to go big, I can. Any thoughts?
FeelMyRath

Re: Rath R3/Bach 36BO

Post by FeelMyRath »

Rath all the way for me, but then you'd guess that based on my username
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

How different is your R4 bell? I've done A/B of 8" and 8.5" bells and the difference wasn't as big as I thought it might be. Does the R4 with the 525 slide compare favorably to the 36?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I would keep the Bach and sell the Rath, more money!

But I love Bachs. :)
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ranttila

Post by ranttila »

I don’t know man, but I sure love my 36BO so I would keep it and then sell the Rath bell & slide.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:28 pm I would keep the Bach and sell the Rath, more money!

But I love Bachs. :)
The only problem with that is that the Rath is my only "big" horn. I don't own a full blown 547/8.5 trombone. So on the rare occasion when my local orchestra calls, I feel like I need to show up with something that at least looks like a full blown orchestra horn, even I I keep the dirty secret that I am playing a medium bore slide. Also, there is the rare occasion when I need to pop in a bass bone mouthpiece, like when I played Spamalot last year. Maybe I should sell the Rath and get a used 42 for $1,500 or so for those occasions. But then again, I love the Rath. Decisions, decisions...
johnnymack

Post by johnnymack »

Sell the 36 and buy the 8" Rath bell. Then keep an eye out for a 547 slide. You can then customize your horn to whatever the situation calls for. Keep an eye out for an open Goose Neck also. Then you will probably want to get the DB 525/547 slide. Might as well pick up a 547/562 too while you are at it,for even more options. Now You are going to need a Straight 562 bore LW slide for that Chicago sound. Start looking for a 9" bell also. Then a NY or Mt Vernon Bach will catch your eye. ARRRGGHHH! Got to Go now and check in to Rehab . I have to get this Trombone Monkey off my Back. LOL Good Luck Mike P.S. I was serious about the 8" Rath Bell and 547 slide
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

The funny thing is that I had all of this stuff in an Edwards set up 2 -2 years ago until I went to ATW and made a rather hasty decision to trade my Eddie for the Rath. I had an Edwards with 2 slides, 2 bells, and straight neck pipe.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

So yesterday I ordered the bell and listed my 36 on Ebay. For now, I am holding off on the 547 slide, neck pipe, 9" bell, dual bore slide, and double valve section:)

Return to “Instruments”