Trombone slide rod

studyinjazz

Trombone slide rod

Post by studyinjazz »

I have a slide rod but I'm not sure what to attach to it. I've heard you can just cut up a towel and wrap the pieces around. Is this a good idea?
BGuttman

Re: Trombone slide rod

Post by BGuttman »

Proper technique is to attach a piece of cheesecloth or muslin, about 1" wide (2-3 cm) by about 4 feet (1 meter 30 cm) long. Place the cloth through the eye of the trombone rod and tie a knot in it. Then wrap the cloth in a spiral around the rod. The cloth should be long enough that when you put the rod inside the slide tube you can still grab it. Insert the rod with a twisting motion to rub the cloth against the slide tube. Pull out with a twist as well.

If you go to the Edwards site, there is a video of Christan Griego (president of Edwards) showing just how he cleans and lubes a slide. I used to have this "stickied" on TTF, but for now that link is gone; you'll have to find it yourself.

Here's the video:
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

BGuttman wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:02 pm Proper technique is to attach a piece of cheesecloth or muslin, about 1" wide (2-3 cm) by about 4 feet (1 meter 30 cm) long. Place the cloth through the eye of the trombone rod and tie a knot in it. Then wrap the cloth in a spiral around the rod. The cloth should be long enough that when you put the rod inside the slide tube you can still grab it. Insert the rod with a twisting motion to rub the cloth against the slide tube. Pull out with a twist as well.
If you go to the Edwards site, there is a video of Christan Griego (president of Edwards) showing just how he cleans and lubes a slide. I used to have this "stickied" on TTF, but for now that link is gone; you'll have to find it yourself.
Here's the video:
I'd skip the knot & just pull the corner through the eye & wrap under the remainder layering until it fits fairly snuggly into the tube.

Be careful not to push into the crook! Easy to poke a dent from the inside if the end of the rod comes through the cloth.
Push on the rod & pull on the cloth, this avoids the possibility of the cloth folding over on itself & getting stuck or creating a bulge in the tubing.

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

"Push on the rod & pull on the cloth..."

This part is important.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
FeelMyRath

Post by FeelMyRath »

Get a slide-o-mix sheath. Much easier.
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

FeelMyRath wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:22 am Get a slide-o-mix sheath. Much easier.
I've got 2 of these, I've shortened them so that the surplus doesn't gather at the hand end, and wound a little gaffer tape at the far end of the rod to get a really tight fit into the slide.

It's also important not to use the rod into the m/p receiver, use a brush to avoid damage to the leadpipe.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Only the first couple inches of cloth do any work.

You can slide the rod in then spin the slide around it which makes a nice knot to push against the inside surface and then pull out.

Nearly all the work is done with one pull.
afugate

Post by afugate »

Pre59 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:28 am [snip]... and wound a little gaffer tape at the far end of the rod to get a really tight fit into the slide.
I'm going to try doing this on my traditional cleaning rod. :good:

Pre59 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:28 am It's also important not to use the rod into the m/p receiver, use a brush to avoid damage to the leadpipe.
yep...

--Andy in OKC

Return to “Instruments”