I found this page from "Wind Player" magazine describing Hollywood studio players' gear.

TromboneMonkey

I found this page from "Wind Player" magazine describing Hollywood studio players' gear.

Post by TromboneMonkey »

Pretty cool!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hyperbolica

Re: I found this page from "Wind Player" magazine describing Hollywood studio players' gear.

Post by hyperbolica »

Wow. Everybody plays the classics. 16m, 62h, 2b, Yamaha euphs... No Shires, Edwards or Rath mentioned.
Matt K
Verified

Re: I found this page from "Wind Player" magazine describing Hollywood studio players' gear.

Post by Matt K »

Transcript (minor variations as I couldn't quite tell some of the punctuation so it isn't super consistent):
Bill Booth
Bach 16M medium-small bore tenor trombone played with a New York Bach 12C mouthpiece. Conn 8H large bore trombone (proto-type made in the 40's with a 7-7/8 bell) played with a Beversdorff mouthpiece copy by Giardinelli, Conn 62H bass trombone, Bach Bass trumpet, Willson euphonium.

Bruce Fowler
Yamaha YBL-691 tenor trombone played with a Bach 12C mouthpiece. Bach 36 medium-large bore tenor played with a Bach 6-1/2 AL mouthpiece, Yamaha YBL-612 bass trombone, Yamaha YEP-321 euphonium

Alex Iles
King 2B tenor trombone (bell made in the mid-40's, inner slide made in the mid-50's. Jiggs Whigam light-weight outer-slide) played with a New York Bach 11C mouthpiece, New York Bach 36 tenor trombone played with a Schilke 50 mouthpiece. Conn 88H large bore tenor played with a Schilke 51 mouthpiece, Yamaha YBL-613H bass trombone played with a Hauser(sic) mouthpiece (Harwood cup, P-60 backbore, IR rim), Yamaha 321 Euphonium

Alan Kaplan
King Jiggs Whigam small bore trombone played with a Bach 11C mouthpiece. Bach 36 medium-large bore trombone played with a Bach 6-1/2AL mouthpiece. Conn 62H bass trombone with a custom build slide by Larry Minick played with a Burt Herrick mouthpiece. Yamaha YEP-321 euphonium. Miraphone 186 tuba in Bb.

Charlie Loper
Bach 16M (medium-small bore), Bach 36 (medium-large bore), Bach 42 (large bore) tenor trombones all plyaed with Bach mouthpieces.

Lew McCreary
Conn 6H small bore tenor trombone played with a Burt Herrick mouthpiece, Conn 88H large bore tenor trombone, Conn 62H bass trobone played with a Olds George Roberts SO mouthpiece. Conn euphonium.

Dick Nash
Bach 16M (Watrous Model) medium-small bore tenor trombone with a King 3B handslide crook, played with a brass copy of a Rhinehart (sic) 6A (originally a plastic) mouthpiece. Bach 42B large bore tenor trombone with a Conn 8H hand slide crook played with a Bach 6-1/2AL mouthpiece. Conn 72H single trigger bass trombone with a Dennis Wick 2AL model mouthpiece.

Bill Reichenbach
Conn 62H bass trombone played with a Minick L mouthpiece. Conn 32H medium-small bore (dual 500/525) tenor trombone played with a Doug Elliott 100C mouthpiece, Conn 88H large bore tenor trombone played with a Doug Elliott 101G mouthpiece. Haag contra-bass trombone played with a Minick LX mouthpiece. Bach bass trumpet. Boosey and Hawkes Eb tuba. King euphonium.

Phil Teele
Yamaha YBL-612 bass trombone (silver, made 20 years ago) played with a Minick L. Glassel(sic) mouthpiece. Minick custom contra-bass trombone. Yamaha Compensating euphonium both played with a Minick 3 mouthpiece.

Lloyd Ulyate
Bach 12 small bore tenor trombone played with a Bach 12C mouthpiece.
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

I believe this is from the 80s or early 90s so I'm not surprised at the lack of Shires/Rath, etc., BUT, today:

Bill Booth : King, Andy Martin : Yamaha, Bob Mcchesney : Bach, Alex Iles : King. A few players are using new-fangled mouthpieces like the glorious AR but the horns have been similar for generations now.
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

Also, someone was selling that Dick Nash Reinhardt mouthpiece; Doug said it might be a bit smaller than a 6.5AL. I was looking for the listing again when I stumbled on this picture.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

hyperbolica wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:00 pm Wow. Everybody plays the classics. 16m, 62h, 2b, Yamaha euphs... No Shires, Edwards or Rath mentioned.
Well, in defense of contemporary horns (as someone else mentioned), this seems to have been penned sometime in the mid 80s, so before Edwards, Shires, Rath, etc. were around! You can tell from the designations of the mouthpieces, such as the Elliott 100C that Bill Reichenbach played, obviously the one piece pieces were dropped in favor of the 2 piece and later 3 piece designs.

I believe the last time I saw Bill Reichenbach at ITF a few years ago he was playing on a Greenhoe converted dependent Conn with TIS. Alex Iles seems to be a Schilke/Greenhoe artist now.

There are probably other diffences over time but a cool article nonetheless!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Yup, pretty old article. Lots of new stuff out there now. The Greenhoe 62 reigns supreme (both Alex and Bill on those, as well as some others), and Alex is now playing a Greenhoe large tenor as well.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

I wonder why there is less shifting on small-bore tenor gear in general. Probably just less things on it to mess around with. Probably also a smaller market which leads to less R&D.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I'm not sure if the larger market is for large bores... after all, how many people play the YSL354? I'd be shocked if it wasn't he most ubiquitous instrument in the world! But it seems to me that to a large degree that R&D that you do on small bore can apply to large bore and maybe even bass. Like when Shires came out with their type 7 and 8 bells, they were available on all their horns. Their type 5 bells too I believe (with the exception of bass). But then the valves only apply to large bore & bass. So I'm not sure that there is more R&D on large bores, but perhaps just the visible result of it are on large bore/basses (like new valves, wraps, and other tangential stuff like the Harmonic bracing on some of the Edwards horns).

Then consider that Butler started making carbon fiber trombones based off of the 6H and still only has full production finished for the small bore stuff, though he's working on larger equipment from what I understand. That could be a huge change!
blast

Post by blast »

Ah....the dance of death between makers and players.....

Chris
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:42 pm Yup, pretty old article. Lots of new stuff out there now. The Greenhoe 62 reigns supreme (both Alex and Bill on those, as well as some others), and Alex is now playing a Greenhoe large tenor as well.
Yep. Pretty much everyone now uses a Greenhoe style 62H or a Minickized Conn 62H. Phil Keen uses a Kanstul 1662i and one usual suspect who I can't remember the name of uses a Yamaha 830.

Small horns all seem to be Bach's, King 2B's or Kanstul, Yamaha and Schilke 2B variants.

The large bore scene in the studios has changed quite a bit. I had a few discussions in my lessons with one of the prominent studio players about this. Basically everyone used to use Conn 8H's, 88H's or Bach 36's but the sound gradually changed and everyone switched to Bach 42B or 42T type horns.

Now you've got Alex using a Greenhoe, Alan Kaplan uses a Kanstul 42T style horn, Phil Keen uses a Shires or a Greenhoe for large tenor, and I'm not sure what everyone else is using, this is just what I can think off the top of my head, but the large horns are now more Bach styled then they were 10 or 20 years ago when that article came out.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

TromboneMonkey wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:48 pm I wonder why there is less shifting on small-bore tenor gear in general. Probably just less things on it to mess around with. Probably also a smaller market which leads to less R&D.
Just think about it from a job perspective.

When the studio cats need to break out small horns it's usually for more commercial and jazz style music. Orchestration and playing demands are similar now as they were then, no need to change.

Classical music in the studios is totally different now then it was 10 to 20 years ago. The brass sections in films now are gigantic and sometimes are scored for 4+ bass and contra bass trombones all playing at once!!! It's nuts! With crazy writing like that it's only logical that the players are forced to move up to more modern 42T style horns to match with the modern style of orchestration.
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

That's interesting to hear about the 62H. I think I've only ever played with one person who had one - and it was a Greenhoe 62H - and it was back around a decade ago in my undergraduate. Wonder if it's more of a west coast thing.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Matt K wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:32 am That's interesting to hear about the 62H. I think I've only ever played with one person who had one - and it was a Greenhoe 62H - and it was back around a decade ago in my undergraduate. Wonder if it's more of a west coast thing.
Seems like it. But it only seems to show up in certain scenes. You see the TIS horns in the studio and pretty frequently in the jazz scene... but you never see them in the classical scene. Though I think part of the reason you see them on the jazz scene is because the same people who use them in the studios are also prominent LA jazz cats haha.

Like you I've only seen a handful of Elky 62H's and Greenhoes in person. Most people in the classical scene seem to be using Bachs, Yamahas and Shires with a very small handful of Edwards, Conns and Kanstuls thrown in the mix.
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT

Return to “Instruments”