4H/12H Compaison

PhilipEdCarlson

4H/12H Compaison

Post by PhilipEdCarlson »

I've got too many horns!
Most of them are small bore that I rarely play, so I figure if I sell 3 or 4 of the pea-shooters I should be able to add a med horn. I think I want Chris' 8H Special with the .525 EricEdwards slide. I expect I'll end up keeping a '50s Super, but when it's slide comes back from the SlideDoctor I'll stack rank them and keep the one that lands on top. So, now that my Community SymphonyOrchestra season is over, I'm going to put the bass on the back-burner and focus on the little guys so I can compare them better. Rather than playing all my horns to compare them to each other, what do I do? I bring home another!

With my 4H at a lesson last week my teacher, NeoBri, says, ~hey wanna try this 12H? It's essentially a 4H with a Coprion bell. I took it (on loan) and I LOVE it!

Now I just want to add it to the stable! In fact playing the two back to back for several days I even like the 4H better than I did before. There's lots of specifics I expect I'll add to this thread as it goes. The sound they make, similarities and differences in slides and tuning slides (I always thought tuning slide material comments on boutique trombone sites were superfluous, but I'm re-thinking that) and more. Oh, yeah, and the bells! But before that, I'd like to hear from others that have played either, or both of these models. What do/did you think of these horns? Why do or don't you play them? Who are the ConnMen on TC? I read what I could find on these horns on ConnLoyalist before I even played the 12H, I'd like to hear more opinions on them. (I'm also hoping to see a 32H/30H review by MattK sometime!)
Philip Carlson
TR-181, 72H, 88HCL, 32H, 30H, 4H, 50's Super, 40's Super, Buescher True-Tone 410 & The Buescher, Constellation Euph, Getzen Severenson
PhilipEdCarlson

Re: 4H/12H Compaison

Post by PhilipEdCarlson »

In general, I found the 4H to be more brash and the 12H to be more mellow. Both fun to play in the high range. At a high volume the 4H sizzles, the 12H almost sizzles. At low volumes the the 4H is kinda 'meh' while the 12H is warm and beautiful.
Philip Carlson
TR-181, 72H, 88HCL, 32H, 30H, 4H, 50's Super, 40's Super, Buescher True-Tone 410 & The Buescher, Constellation Euph, Getzen Severenson

Return to “Instruments”