Lightest weight Bass Trbs

Fridge

Lightest weight Bass Trbs

Post by Fridge »

Hey Guys,what bass bone do you think weighs the least? New or old. I’m thinking a 1662i. Also, what about balance?
Any and all thoughts are welcome!

Fridge
Matt K
Verified

Re: Lightest weight Bass Trbs

Post by Matt K »

Well, generally speaking any single bass is probably going to be lighter than a double bass! But even then, balance is an important consideration. So probably something with an open wrap is going to feel lighter to you than something with a closed wrap.

Butler trombones is coming out with a bass in the not too distant future. Doug Yeo has one of the prototype bells on his Yamaha. I'd bet that gives anything a run for its money in terms of lightness, even with all that tubing.

That all said, I think the lightest, traditional double valved bass I've had was a Shires dependent. It was wrapped in such a way that it felt rather light for a bass.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

For new horns the lightest horns would be Kanstul or Rath.

Vintage Conns and Holtons are also both very light though you might encounter some ergo issues with the double plug versions from both companies. That problem can easily be fixed by a tech splitting the triggers and making them fit your hand.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I'd bet an Olds P24g would be on the list. I weighed one once and it was lighter than my Kanstul 1662i. Rath I would also guess is very light, with minimal bracing.
Last edited by hyperbolica on Sun May 13, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

I should have said double valve horns only. Thanks for the replies! Never considered that the Rath might be light.

Fridge
Zandit75

Post by Zandit75 »

I can certainly say that the Shires Custom Bass Trom is not light, but it certainly is very well balanced. Once lifted to your shoulder, it basically falls in the right spot.
Took me a couple of weeks to get used to the weight after playing a single valve tenor for many years, but everything else now feels unbalanced, especially standard tenor troms.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

According to my bathroom scale, my Holton TR-180 double weight exactly 5 lbs without a mouthpiece.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I have recently tried a few bass trombones in search a lighter model I liked. I liked the Yamaha YBL-830, and it weighs in at approximately 5 lbs. My Edwards B454-DE weighs approximately 5 lbs 12 oz. with a DE mouthpiece. I play a 22 gauge bell, and was able to recently try a 23 gauge bell. The difference in weight was about a tenth of an ounce. I liked the sound of the 22 gauge bell better. I have been searching for a little more than a year, and I finally concluded most double valve basses weigh 5 lbs or more. I have heard of a lightweight Latzsch indy bass that is supposed to be quite a bit lighter. I don't think they are terribly common in the States.

Weight distribution/ balance seem to be more important in terms of the horn. I have had a few trombonists comment on how I hold the horn too (slide/bell angle is too wide), and at the advice from another member have been experimenting with the idea of bringing my left elbow closer to my body to put less stress on my hands/wrist. It definitely has made me think more about how I treat and use my hands. I would like to see if I can get away from the computer outside of work. Additionally, I am a bit more careful of putting strain on my hands when I am doing any sort of work around the house. In the end just giving your hands a break is pretty important IMHO.

In terms of assistance from trombone straps, braces, etc I feel there is always some sort of compromise. I currently use an Edwards Bullet Brace. Sometimes I feel like it puts too much stress in one area of my hand. I might try making the surface area larger to distribute the weight better, and maybe add a softer material to the brace where it meets my hand. The ErgoBone has been suggested by many of my colleagues, but I feel like it may be too cumbersome.

I may also look into a wrist brace of sorts, and other treatments to keep my hands more functional. This is includes strengthening my body, and stretching before I do any sort of work. I currently stretch when I am having pain, but that is almost always too late it seems for any sort of immediate relief. I may try video taping a practice session or two as well to see if I am doing anything strange with my hands/wrist/elbow, etc. Alexander Technique also seems to be another likely step at some point.

Lots to think about, but ultimately for me the horn may be the least of my worries. Your mileage may vary.
BoneDoctor

Post by BoneDoctor »

I have a HEAVY bass (see gear below). It seems better balanced than my silver 3B. Putting on a bullet brace made all the difference in how long I could hold it up and how nimbly I can use the two valves. My advice echos that of others: Don't just focus on the weight of the horn. Buy the horn that matches your playing, make sure it is balanced and throw on a bullet brace.
LeoInFL

Post by LeoInFL »

I'm pretty sure this topic came up on the Trombone Forum because I remember mentioning this bass. Willson has come out with their 551TA CF - indy Rotax bass with carbon fibre tubing on the attachments.
LeoInFL
Getzen 4047DS :
~Bousfield S
~Conn 5G | Edwards .525"
Olds P-24G : G&W Mark-1 | Wessex .555"
Melton 41 F Cimbasso : DE CB S118_L*_L16Am
Holton 77 Fr Horn : Laskey 825G

CFCA Symphony Orch
(2016-present)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Just posted this in the jazz bass thread, but Laetzsch makes a seriously light instrument for over $10k if you've got the cash.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Savio

Post by Savio »

I dont know about double triggers, but the old Conn 60h is the lightest single trigger trombone to hold. Strange because the 70h is very Heavy. So maybe the Conn 62h is the lightest double trigger? Maybe?

Leif
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

As far as an all brass horn, nothing with come close to my single valve Db bass bones with a 9" bell :D . Besides being light, its also shorter, and for any physics guys in the room you'll know exactly how importent the length of a moments arm is relative to weight and hand fagitue.

Return to “Instruments”