Yamaha 891z-Lawler - King 3B

Davidus1

Yamaha 891z-Lawler - King 3B

Post by Davidus1 »

Hi,

I'm in the market for a small/medium bore Tenor bone. I'm thinking .508 but possibly .500. The three horns that I've been considering but have not played on all of them are the Yamaha YSL-891z, A Roy Lawler horn or a King 3b (possibly a silver sonic). I've played a 3b before but have not played the other models. Would be interested in a Shires but the price is way too high in my opinion. $1200 or so above the others is too much in my opinion.

My playing needs are for playing 3rd bone in Big Band and 1st Bone in Concert Band. I also play in church occasionally. These are the horns I'm considering but am open to suggestions. Any input from experienced players only would be appreciated. Thanks.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Kingfan

Re: Yamaha 891z-Lawler - King 3B

Post by Kingfan »

I would go with a .508 horn like a 3B. A .500 bore like a 2B might be too small for 3rd, and too bright for concert band. Get one with an F attachment if you can, that'll help on the 3rd parts and not hurt when playing 1st. Check your local Craigslist, you might get lucky.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

A .525 like a 36B wouldn't be a bad choice either, for those purposes. And more versatile. But it depends on you and where you're coming from.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Doug Elliott wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:05 pm A .525 like a 36B wouldn't be a bad choice either, for those purposes. And more versatile. But it depends on you and where you're coming from.
I agree with Doug. I'm a well-known 36 fan. I have several. Very versatile - and to cover your needs with just one horn, that's the one I'd grab.

Or maybe something like a Yamaha 646.
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Thanks. My thinking is a .508 too. The issue is one that many have and that is getting to actually play on these instruments before purchasing. I have a friend with a YSL 691 and it is .508 and a very nice horn. The 3Bs seems to be different and not as consistent but they sure sound good. I appreciate the info.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Thanks Doug/Neo Bri. I have thought about a .525 for concert band but wasn't sure how it would sound in a big band. I have to admit that it would be nice to have a single horn to cover everything. Something to consider. There are some good deals on Back 36s I've noticed too.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

If you think Shires are expensive, you should see the price on a Silver Sonic ! :amazed:

I agree with the medium bore route though. It sounds more your speed for what you'd be doing with it. 3BF+, Conn 78H, JP Rath 3320, Yamaha 446, and others can also be great options if you're okay with used. Lots of really cool vintage horns on brassark at the moment as well.
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Thanks Matt. I will check it out. Yes, the SIlverSonics are expensive. I've seen a few that are more reasonable but they usually aren't in as good condition. No disrespect intended to Shires. Everyone that I know that has one loves it but a little steep for my tastes.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

I use .525 for 3rd in a big band as well as concert band and brass band gigs. If you get one with a trigger you have covered all bases. I’m using a King 3B+ B/F and love it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I suggested the .508 over a .500, but would also agree with a .525 horn as a viable option. It ultimately depends on what horn and mouthpiece combo you like/likes you. I used to play lead in my big band on a .547 horn and a Bach 5G, same combo that got me a bass trombone award back in high school at a jazz band competition. I now use a Doug Elliott mp similar to a Bach 5 on a 3B or 2B. Our third in big band plays a 3B-F Silver Sonic with a Bach 4C and can double bass when needed. I am lucky enough to have a nice arsenal - 2B, 3B, 3B-F, 4B-F, Holton TR180 double valve bass - so have the right horn for just about any occasion. JMHO.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
keybone

Post by keybone »

I am considering either the 891z or a Lawler setup myself. I have played a 3B SS for nearly 40 years, but am now considering a lighter horn. Nobody has mentioned a Lawler - any particular reason?
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

keybone wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:49 am I am considering either the 891z or a Lawler setup myself. I have played a 3B SS for nearly 40 years, but am now considering a lighter horn. Nobody has mentioned a Lawler - any particular reason?
They're just not that common. But by all accounts pretty sweet and very reasonably priced instruments. Only heard good things.
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Geordie wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:18 am I use .525 for 3rd in a big band as well as concert band and brass band gigs. If you get one with a trigger you have covered all bases. I’m using a King 3B+ B/F and love it.
Hey, thanks for sharing. I appreciate it. This helps. I have a couple of .500 bore horns already and I don't dislike them. I'm going to give the .525 more thought as that may be the right answer. I'm taking lessons now and working on improvisation and wasn't sure what to expect with a .525 for soloing but I do still have the .500 horns if and when needed.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Neo Bri wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:58 am
keybone wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:49 am I am considering either the 891z or a Lawler setup myself. I have played a 3B SS for nearly 40 years, but am now considering a lighter horn. Nobody has mentioned a Lawler - any particular reason?
They're just not that common. But by all accounts pretty sweet and very reasonably priced instruments. Only heard good things.
On the TTF previously there had been talk of Lawler offering a .525 model at some point. Not sure if that is true but that would be cool if he did. It seems that the people that own them seem to really like them.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Davidus1 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:16 pm
Neo Bri wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:58 am They're just not that common. But by all accounts pretty sweet and very reasonably priced instruments. Only heard good things.
On the TTF previously there had been talk of Lawler offering a .525 model at some point. Not sure if that is true but that would be cool if he did. It seems that the people that own them seem to really like them.
I actually really wanted (and still do) one of those. I believe they are called "Big Boy."
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Neo Bri wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:51 pm
Davidus1 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:16 pm On the TTF previously there had been talk of Lawler offering a .525 model at some point. Not sure if that is true but that would be cool if he did. It seems that the people that own them seem to really like them.
I actually really wanted (and still do) one of those. I believe they are called "Big Boy."
I think the Big Boy horns are from the previous generation of Lawler bones and are not made any longer. I heard that he was considering a new generation .525. I think I read that from "The Sheriff" in the TTF who seemed to know Roy and what some of his plans were. Again.......not firsthand info. I hope its true though!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
AvanDuuren

Post by AvanDuuren »

The Conn 6H plays very freely for a .500 bore. A good one can be hard to beat.
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

A .525 is a safe bet. If you decide to try a .508 I would highly recommend a Selmer Boler. It's very under rated.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Hey, thanks for sharing. I appreciate it. This helps. I have a couple of .500 bore horns already and I don't dislike them. I'm going to give the .525 more thought as that may be the right answer. I'm taking lessons now and working on improvisation and wasn't sure what to expect with a .525 for soloing but I do still have the .500 horns if and when needed.
The .500 might be better if you have lots of solo work, but .525 horn will cover the needs outlined in your original post and is fine for solo stuff.
Don’t normally see a lot of solo work in 3rd chair, so perhaps use your smaller horns for more demanding solo gigs?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Another good one that I didn't think of initially was the Conn 32H. 500/522 if I'm recalling rightly. I don't think I've played one but it's on the list of horns I do want to try out eventually for sure. I've heard them spoken of quite highly
PhilipEdCarlson

Post by PhilipEdCarlson »

Matt K wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:34 pm Another good one that I didn't think of initially was the Conn 32H. 500/522 if I'm recalling rightly. I don't think I've played one but it's on the list of horns I do want to try out eventually for sure. I've heard them spoken of quite highly
I've got one you could borrow. I could bring it to work on Monday if you'd like.
Philip Carlson
TR-181, 72H, 88HCL, 32H, 30H, 4H, 50's Super, 40's Super, Buescher True-Tone 410 & The Buescher, Constellation Euph, Getzen Severenson
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Email sent!
dembones

Post by dembones »

I sure love my Lawler. I’d encourage you or anyone to try these horns. Beautiful to look at, beautiful tone, amazing slide, beautiful craftsmanship, a joy to play. And with the screw bell, you can play with the tone color and response, and it’s an amazing form factor when it’s in the case.

He’s making.508 slides now as well as his great .500 slide. I recommend Roy’s recommended setup, with the brass outer slide. I tried both, the brass is just as light as the nickel, but I like the tone and feel of the brass better. He’ll even set you up with a Butler CF outer if you want.

For what you get the price is remarkable to say the least, and Roy is a joy to work with, and he’ll let you tweak and swap out parts up to a point.
Don Mikkelsen
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

+1 for the 891Z here.

I've got one that I replaced my Bach 36 with. It's a very very nice .508 (especially for a stock instrument). Light, easy to play, very customizable sound via the leadpipes and mouthpieces. I've used it as 1st in a concert band, 1st in lots of little chamber gigs, solo and ensemble instrument in a church, and in a reggae band. It's exceeded my expectations in all those venues, and I really enjoy it as my go-to tenor (I mainly play bass). I think in order to find a better instrument, I'd have to build a Shires, and there's just something about a stock instrument that's really appealing.
FeelMyRath

Post by FeelMyRath »

brtnats wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:32 am +1 for the 891Z here.

I think in order to find a better instrument, I'd have to build a Shires
Or a Rath (inserted for UK-US balance) :good:
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

brtnats wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:32 am +1 for the 891Z here.

I've got one that I replaced my Bach 36 with. It's a very very nice .508 (especially for a stock instrument). Light, easy to play, very customizable sound via the leadpipes and mouthpieces. I've used it as 1st in a concert band, 1st in lots of little chamber gigs, solo and ensemble instrument in a church, and in a reggae band. It's exceeded my expectations in all those venues, and I really enjoy it as my go-to tenor (I mainly play bass). I think in order to find a better instrument, I'd have to build a Shires, and there's just something about a stock instrument that's really appealing.
Thanks for posting this. I appreciate the feedback. Sounds like a great horn!!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

dembones wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:22 pm I sure love my Lawler. I’d encourage you or anyone to try these horns. Beautiful to look at, beautiful tone, amazing slide, beautiful craftsmanship, a joy to play. And with the screw bell, you can play with the tone color and response, and it’s an amazing form factor when it’s in the case.

He’s making.508 slides now as well as his great .500 slide. I recommend Roy’s recommended setup, with the brass outer slide. I tried both, the brass is just as light as the nickel, but I like the tone and feel of the brass better. He’ll even set you up with a Butler CF outer if you want.

For what you get the price is remarkable to say the least, and Roy is a joy to work with, and he’ll let you tweak and swap out parts up to a point.
Hey, thanks for this! I've been wanting to hear more about the Lawler horns. They look beautiful! I take it that you have the .500 model? Did you play a .508 too? Congrats on your purchase! Did you get brushed lacquer or bare brass?
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
dembones

Post by dembones »

Davidus1 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:34 pm
dembones wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:22 pm I sure love my Lawler. I’d encourage you or anyone to try these horns. Beautiful to look at, beautiful tone, amazing slide, beautiful craftsmanship, a joy to play. And with the screw bell, you can play with the tone color and response, and it’s an amazing form factor when it’s in the case.

Hey, thanks for this! I've been wanting to hear more about the Lawler horns. They look beautiful! I take it that you have the .500 model? Did you play a .508 too? Congrats on your purchase! Did you get brushed lacquer or bare brass?
Hi, sure thing. I have the .500 slide, actually I ended up with two, one yellow brass and one nickel silver outer tubes, as I wanted to have a spare. I've had my horn for over a year, he has only been making the .508 for a few months. Roy is setting up my nickel silver slide with a Butler CF as we speak (write?), looking forward to playing it.

BTW he is also making a .500/.508 dual bore slide.

My horn is the brushed lacquer, really distinctive and beautiful look, gets a lot of compliments. None of that matters in relation to it's tone and how it plays, and this horn is amazing to play with a beautiful sound. For most of my playing (small group jazz) I use a .022 red brass 7.5" flare. When I play in louder situations, rock etc., I have an 8" yellow brass .025 flare that really projects. You get two flares with the horn.

His site is http://www.roylawlertrombones.com. Roy is great to work with, and has gone way out of his way to make sure I was happy with everything.
Don Mikkelsen
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

dembones wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:14 am
Davidus1 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:34 pm Hey, thanks for this! I've been wanting to hear more about the Lawler horns. They look beautiful! I take it that you have the .500 model? Did you play a .508 too? Congrats on your purchase! Did you get brushed lacquer or bare brass?
Hi, sure thing. I have the .500 slide, actually I ended up with two, one yellow brass and one nickel silver outer tubes, as I wanted to have a spare. I've had my horn for over a year, he has only been making the .508 for a few months. Roy is setting up my nickel silver slide with a Butler CF as we speak (write?), looking forward to playing it.

My horn is the brushed lacquer, really distinctive and beautiful look, gets a lot of compliments. None of that matters in relation to it's tone and how it plays, and this horn is amazing to play with a beautiful sound. For most of my playing (small group jazz) I use a .022 red brass 7.5" flare. When I play in louder situations, rock etc., I have an 8" yellow brass .025 flare that really projects. You get two flares with the horn.

His site is http://www.roylawlertrombones.com. Roy is great to work with, and has gone way out of his way to make sure I was happy with everything.
Did you get the hard case or the gig bag?
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
dembones

Post by dembones »

Davidus1 wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:21 pm
dembones wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:14 am Hi, sure thing. I have the .500 slide, actually I ended up with two, one yellow brass and one nickel silver outer tubes, as I wanted to have a spare. I've had my horn for over a year, he has only been making the .508 for a few months. Roy is setting up my nickel silver slide with a Butler CF as we speak (write?), looking forward to playing it.

Did you get the hard case or the gig bag?
When I bought mine it was a different hard case, heavier and more solid than his new one. I sprung for the gig bag too which is pretty inexpensive, and that's all I use. It's so small and light. With the bell laying flat, it is less vulnerable than a non-screw bell. Once I get the Butler CF outer, I would even fly with it, as it is much less likely to draw the attention of flight attendants.
Don Mikkelsen
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

dembones wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:56 pm
Davidus1 wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:21 pm Did you get the hard case or the gig bag?
When I bought mine it was a different hard case, heavier and more solid than his new one. I sprung for the gig bag too which is pretty inexpensive, and that's all I use. It's so small and light. With the bell laying flat, it is less vulnerable than a non-screw bell. Once I get the Butler CF outer, I would even fly with it, as it is much less likely to draw the attention of flight attendants.
Nice! I am not liking the hard case. Not sure what I'd store and extra bell with without it but could figure something out. They are beautiful instruments!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I went by the Lawler shop last week and ordered a horn. I ended up with the .500 slide in nickel and a red brass .022 bell with a 7.5 and 8" flares in red brass. Brushed finish as well.

You really have to want to get to Roy's shop. I had to call him and tell him that Flat Creek, TN does not even register on my GPS. You have to use Shelbyville. Mr. Garmin took be down some serious back roads before I finally got there. He has a beautiful place - 18 acres on top of a big hill in the middle of some really scenic TN farm country. I happened to be driving from Chattanooga to Memphis, so it wasn't too far out of the way. He said I should have my horn in about 3 weeks.
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Thanks and congratulations on your new horn. Let us know how you like it once received! Its always exciting to receive a new horn. I appreciate the info on the directions too. I'm trying to decide what I want but Lawler is certainly high on the list.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Neo Bri wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:24 pm
Doug Elliott wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:05 pm A .525 like a 36B wouldn't be a bad choice either, for those purposes. And more versatile. But it depends on you and where you're coming from.
I agree with Doug. I'm a well-known 36 fan. I have several. Very versatile - and to cover your needs with just one horn, that's the one I'd grab.

Or maybe something like a Yamaha 646.
How does a Yamaha 446/445 compare to a Bach 36?
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The 445/446 is basically the 645/646 with a little less "bling" (nickel trim). The slides on Yammies in general are great.

Given the variability of Bachs, a 446 could be better or worse than a 36B.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

BGuttman wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:50 pm The 445/446 is basically the 645/646 with a little less "bling" (nickel trim). The slides on Yammies in general are great.

Thanks Bruce. I've looked at Woodwind/Brasswind and Dillon's and am not seeing the 645/646....only seeing a 445/446.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Also noticed that the YSL630 is listed as a .525 with a large shank receiver. I think the others are small shank as is the Bach 36. Was surprised to see this with the 630. Does that change the playing characteristics having the large shank?
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
afugate

Post by afugate »

Davidus1 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:06 pm
BGuttman wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:50 pm The 445/446 is basically the 645/646 with a little less "bling" (nickel trim). The slides on Yammies in general are great.

Thanks Bruce. I've looked at Woodwind/Brasswind and Dillon's and am not seeing the 645/646....only seeing a 445/446.
Yamaha 645 / 646 are discontinued models. I love my YSL-645. It's my favorite horn in my stable.

--Andy in OKC
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Davidus1 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:08 pm Also noticed that the YSL630 is listed as a .525 with a large shank receiver. I think the others are small shank as is the Bach 36. Was surprised to see this with the 630. Does that change the playing characteristics having the large shank?
I think this is a mistake. The 630 and 640 use the same slide. Generally you need a special leadpipe to play a large shank mouthpiece on a medium bore trombone.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

afugate wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 6:11 am
Davidus1 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:06 pm Thanks Bruce. I've looked at Woodwind/Brasswind and Dillon's and am not seeing the 645/646....only seeing a 445/446.
Yamaha 645 / 646 are discontinued models. I love my YSL-645. It's my favorite horn in my stable.

--Andy in OKC
Hey, thanks for the information! Much appreciated. Glad you really like your horn. Trying to get there myself!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

BGuttman wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 6:12 am
Davidus1 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:08 pm Also noticed that the YSL630 is listed as a .525 with a large shank receiver. I think the others are small shank as is the Bach 36. Was surprised to see this with the 630. Does that change the playing characteristics having the large shank?
I think this is a mistake. The 630 and 640 use the same slide. Generally you need a special leadpipe to play a large shank mouthpiece on a medium bore trombone.
Thanks. I thought it was weird. Both Musicians Friend and The Brasswind have that in the description. They should the 446 with a "medium shank" as well which I thought was weird.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Talking to DJ about .525 horns and planning on making a trip in the near future. Its best to play a few and see what feels best. I appreciate all the advice here. It really has helped. Started playing on a 6 1/2 AL and liking it better. Might try a 5G. Would like to settle on something and then order a Doug Elliott piece. Love the tuba piece that I have from him. Hope everyone had a great holiday. Thanks to those who have served. I was in the Army Band for 13 yrs. Cheers!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Thanks for all of your help. I purchased a Yamaha YSL-630 .525 bore. I played several .525s and agree with the advice in this thread that that may be a great selection for me. Thanks to all who shared insight on this issue.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I got an email from Roy Lawler and he says my horn is shipping Monday. The wait is driving me nuts. I hope I get it by Thursday, as that is my last big band concert of the summer.
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Congrats! I can only imagine. I'm sure you will love it. Let us know what you think of it once you've had a chance to play on it.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Arrowhead

Post by Arrowhead »

If you're looking for a horn to cover both 3rd bone in Big Band and 1st in Concert Band, how about the Conn 52H? I tried one a few months ago and was completely surprised. They seemed to cut well for jazz (felt like a 6H) and had the openness of a large bore horn. The slide seemed relatively lightweight as well.

I would imagine the Conn 5H that you listed in your signature card plays pretty well too.
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Arrowhead wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:03 am If you're looking for a horn to cover both 3rd bone in Big Band and 1st in Concert Band, how about the Conn 52H? I tried one a few months ago and was completely surprised. They seemed to cut well for jazz (felt like a 6H) and had the openness of a large bore horn. The slide seemed relatively lightweight as well.

I would imagine the Conn 5H that you listed in your signature card plays pretty well too.
Hi. Yes, the 5H does pretty well but wanted a bigger sound for concert band. Similar to your 52H suggestion I purchased a Yamaha YSL-630 which is .525 bore. Very happy with it so far. Thanks for the post!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Arrowhead

Post by Arrowhead »

Which you could do is just use your medium bore horn for both ensembles, then just switch out mouthpieces to suit each ensemble- 5G for concert. 5GS, 6 1/2 AL (etc.) for big band. This is a bit of conundrum though, being that usually smallish bore horns don't really suit the wide tone that is expected with playing standard concert band repertoire, unless you are playing more pop/marching music.

Come to think of it, another option is just getting a large bore horn for concert band. Keep the 5H for jazz band. You can also use a large bore for 3rd bone in big band.
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

I switched to a 6.5AL and will get a 5G to see how that feels. That is a good suggestion and one I may try. I'd like to get an idea of where I think I'll land and then get a Doug Elliott piece. Can't afford a large bore horn right now but that would probably work best for concert band. We'll see how things go. I may end up with one in the future. Thanks!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb

Return to “Instruments”