Reynolds Professional TO-38

spangy

Reynolds Professional TO-38

Post by spangy »

I picked up a late model Reynolds professional. Serial number shows it to be from 1971. According to the Contempera Corner that's the first year of production. The horn plays great. Its all nickle silver except for a yellow brass flare. The 8" bell is pretty light and responsive. Very different from my Contempera 30-m and earlier model professional.
I can't find much info on these horns. From the Contempera corner I know it was produced at the Olds Fullerton plant. Is it basically an Olds P-15 rebadged as Reynolds? Any insight would be appreciated.
JohnL

Re: Reynolds Professional TO-38

Post by JohnL »

It probably shares some parts with the P-15, but it's not identical (heavier braces, for one thing).
salsabone

Post by salsabone »

I have several(7-8 at least) Reynolds Tenor trombones. I have a 30-m from around '61 and I have a Professional model 71 - 7 1/2 in sterling silver bell .500 bore with the gold inlay on the engraving. The pro 71 plays like a trombone somewhere in between a King 2B SS and 3B SS(2B plus SS - does that even exist?) and the slide for my 30-m will cost more to fix than replace. Put the model 71's slide on the 30-m bell and you have a very nice small bore. Enough of the happy sharing! Although I do not want to make this a "which are the better Reynolds debate" thread - Cleveland vs. Fullerton....I can only judge by my own personal experience. I do own a Contempora 30-L that dating it by it's serial number puts it's build date sometime in 1979. Making possibly one of the last Contemporas produced. It is in great condition IMHO this Contempora is, for lack of a better term< a dud. It is like playing an old black and white basic photo vs playing a vivid color 3D model! All of my other Reynolds(and other wonderful modes of different makes) play with so many of the many characterizations that we laud our favorite trombones that we play. I hope this little post was helpful to you
spangy

Post by spangy »

Thanks for the replies. I've spent a little more time with the horn and its definitely not a dud. Very open blow. Maybe earlier Fullerton horns had better QC? I'm working on getting the lacquer off since it was pretty scratched. Like other Olds horns I've stripped, very hot water does the trick. It looks like it may be a one piece bell. Anybody know if the P-15 had a one piece bell?

Return to “Instruments”