Yamaha YBL-830 experiences

MTbassbone

Yamaha YBL-830 experiences

Post by MTbassbone »

I tried a Yamaha YBL-830 yesterday on a whim, and really liked the horn. The Gb/D valve lever is adjustable, but I was unable to adjust due to the screw being overtightened. Unfortunately, I was unable to find a comfortable way to hold the horn. I noticed that part of the lever is square rather than round, and the angle could not be adjusted, only the length of the lever. Anyone else have this issue? Any experiences with this horn in the wild?
marccromme

Re: Yamaha YBL-830 experiences

Post by marccromme »

.... you can always get your local tech to twist the lever to the angle you need ... I don't own any, but those I have tried do play very well and consistently well. Plus slides and valves are excellent. Very open feeling for standard rotaries. If it gives the sound and response you like, go for it!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I've played just under a dozen. I find they are wildly inconsistent, at least for a Yamaha. Some were great commercial horns with a sizzle to the sound, some were huge-sounding orchestral cannons, some were just bad horns.

If I found a good one, I wouldn't mind it as a backup, but I'd have to go out and try a few.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
fwbassbone

Post by fwbassbone »

I have to agree with Burgerbob. The 830's seem to be somewhat inconsistent. I owned an 822 for a few years and it played well. All the other 822's I've tried (probably a half dozen or so) have also been nice.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I am looking for a lighter bass trombone after experiencing numbness and pain with my left hand, arm, and shoulder. I wish there was something modern that was lighter. I tried an vintage Conn 73h, and liked the weight. However, I did not like how it played. This Yamaha seems to weigh close to a 1/2 lb less than my Edwards dependent w/ Thayers, and seemed to play the way I wanted it to. I was hoping for a dependent horn, but I am willing to play an independent valve setup if it feels right.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

If you can find a good one, it'll be just fine. The 822 might be a better choice, though I don't like that horn as much as a good 830 I think.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Carolus

Post by Carolus »

I just had the chance to try a Schlagerl Aurora last weekend. Stunning horn! Very light weight.
fwbassbone

Post by fwbassbone »

The Edwards B502D is dependent and lighter than many of the thayer valve horns.

Return to “Instruments”