Weight of different valves for Bass

Carter1016

Weight of different valves for Bass

Post by Carter1016 »

Hi all,

I'm looking into some different types of valves for my bass. I've had cramping for the last 4 or 5 months, and the hand doctor recently told me I have something that they know nothing about, or how to treat it properly, but the closest thing they can do is treat it like carpal-tunnel. My professor and I were talking and he suggested I look into a lighter valve set than I have now to make the horn as light as possible. I have a set of Thayers that are about 10 years old, I know those are quite heavy. Other than that, I know Greenhoes are heavy too, and rotors are pretty light. I'm hoping to maybe compile a list of different valves and their weights to see what my options are.

Thanks!
Neo Bri

Re: Weight of different valves for Bass

Post by Neo Bri »

A good idea. Stay tuned - we may be doing something in the future like this.

In the meantime, look into Hagmann valves. They're very light and they are fantastic players.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

IMHO, you'd be good to look at an Ergo-bone or similar to reduce or eliminate the weight of the horn from your body.
The different rests and braces "might" help, but I strongly feel the best thing is to not have to endure holding the horn at all.

Different valves and horns are a very expensive way to reduce the stress on your body and mire than likely will not help.

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Bonearzt wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:00 am IMHO, you'd be good to look at an Ergo-bone or similar to reduce or eliminate the weight of the horn from your body.
The different rests and braces "might" help, but I strongly feel the best thing is to not have to endure holding the horn at all.

Different valves and horns are a very expensive way to reduce the stress on your body and mire than likely will not help.

Eric
Not sure why I didn't think of that. What he said.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

I don’t have it handy anymore, but I did weigh a ton of different valves one time while trying to work out a trade with somebody with a similar issue. Found out that the weight differences weren’t very significant. Balance point differences and grip positioning differences were quite different, though harder to measure.

Good luck, but I think some ergonomic work and some weight training/physical therapy will be more likely to get you relief than finding the lightest valves.

Cheers,
Andy
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I've had problems with my left elbow, and I'm trying physical therapy. I own an ergobone, but everyone I know who has one doesn't use it. It's clunky and inconvenient. I'm working on some modifications to mine to make it easier to switch horns, and less of a hazard to a horn you put it on. Maybe a special neck pillow would take some of the weight off your arm.

Meanwhile, lighter instruments do help, or instruments that you hold differently. My Kanstul 1662i bass is pretty light, but I had an Olds P24g that was even lighter. You might consider euphonium. There are some rare valved bass trombones. Maybe even cimbasso, which rests on the floor or your leg. Someone here had a special C bass which was smaller and lighter and easier to manage. Not really an off-the-shelf sort of solution, but very interesting.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Neo Bri wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:59 am Not sure why I didn't think of that. What he said.
That's why I get paid the BIG bucks.......8P
Eric Edwards

Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

hyperbolica wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:29 pm I've had problems with my left elbow, and I'm trying physical therapy. I own an ergobone, but everyone I know who has one doesn't use it. It's clunky and inconvenient. I'm working on some modifications to mine to make it easier to switch horns, and less of a hazard to a horn you put it on. Maybe a special neck pillow would take some of the weight off your arm.
Yes, the ergobone can be a bit cumbersome, but it REALLY helped me when I had left arm issues!
I still don't understand the workings of the spring on the newer version, mine is a quite old and doesn't have it. Just the harness, which I got used to pretty quickly.

Best of Luck!!!
Eric
Eric Edwards

Return to “Instruments”