Martin Committee trombone?

Reedman1

Martin Committee trombone?

Post by Reedman1 »

Wondering how people like the Committee trombone (no longer made). Committee trumpets are very highly prized,
probably because Miles and Chet played them. The Committee saxes are well-regarded, too, if not as highly as Selmer. The specs look like a Conn 4H About the same bore and bell size (.485 / 7”). So... good bone? Are other bones preferable?
BGuttman

Re: Martin Committee trombone?

Post by BGuttman »

I had a Committee for a while. Thought it was a great lead horn for big band. Definitely a tad small for orchestra, although I could use it on some Pops numbers. At the time I had the Committee I also had an Imperial of the same age (late 1940s). The Imperial had a "sharper" sound and was more Dixieland like and since I needed a horn for my Dixieland band and didn't need a big band horn (I had a Holtoin Stratodyne) I sold the Committee to somebody else. Wish he'd use it once in a while; I only see him with his Yamaha 684 (but that's in a concert band).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:30 am I had a Committee for a while. Thought it was a great lead horn for big band. Definitely a tad small for orchestra, although I could use it on some Pops numbers. At the time I had the Committee I also had an Imperial of the same age (late 1940s). The Imperial had a "sharper" sound and was more Dixieland like and since I needed a horn for my Dixieland band and didn't need a big band horn (I had a Holtoin Stratodyne) I sold the Committee to somebody else. Wish he'd use it once in a while; I only see him with his Yamaha 684 (but that's in a concert band).
How would you say it was for small ensemble, including Dixie and bop?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I'd consider it as good as a King 2B+, Conn 6H, or Bach 8. It does play a bit bigger than it is. For Bop I'd make sure the slide was in perfect condition; you need to do a lot of moving in that genre.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:22 am I'd consider it as good as a King 2B+, Conn 6H, or Bach 8. It does play a bit bigger than it is. For Bop I'd make sure the slide was in perfect condition; you need to do a lot of moving in that genre.
How would it compare to a Conn 4H?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Never played a Conn 4H.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Instruments”