Value of 1970 Bach 42?

jej

Value of 1970 Bach 42?

Post by jej »

This was my brother-in-law's horn when he was in high school in the 1970s. Serial number dates it to 1970 or thereabouts. It hasn't been played (except occasionally by me) in 40 years or so. I recently took it to my repair wizard and had it brought back to playing condition: ultrasonic cleaning, some small dents removed, and the lacquer touched up. He also replaced one of the outer slide tubes. Slide is in excellent shape now. My brother-in-law wants me to sell it, but I'm not sure what it might be worth. It's a straight horn, no valve.
hyperbolica

Re: Value of 1970 Bach 42?

Post by hyperbolica »

$800- $1200 depending. Condition of the case may have some effect. Where you sell something influences how much you can ask for it. If you sell it here, generally the prices are lower. If you sell it on eBay, the prices are higher because of the fees and the larger audience.
tbonedude

Re: Value of 1970 Bach 42?

Post by tbonedude »

hyperbolica wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:33 pm $800- $1200 depending. Condition of the case may have some effect. Where you sell something influences how much you can ask for it. If you sell it here, generally the prices are lower. If you sell it on eBay, the prices are higher because of the fees and the larger audience.
I agree with that pricing, but it really depends on the overall condition of the instrument. Aftermarket mods might increase or decrease the price on an instrument of this vintage as well. But I'd only pay between $800-$1200 for a bone-stock 70s 42 with no other redeeming prominence.

Return to “Instruments”