Shires "Chicago" Trombone

rmb796

Shires "Chicago" Trombone

Post by rmb796 »

Hi,
Has anyone played or purchased a Shires "Chicago" Model trombone? It sounds like what I am looking for but no store in my area has one to try out. I would appreciate any feedback you may have. (I am 100 miles south of Chicago)

Thank you,

Randy
paulyg

Re: Shires "Chicago" Trombone

Post by paulyg »

I have played one. Pretty much what you'd expect, from the specs (ex-spec?).

Just be aware that some of them ship with bass slides (or at least I've seen some with them), so if that's not your cup of tea you may not like it.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

I just played a new one at Dillon's. The bells are cool and pretty similar to what I'm used to- those slides are what I would avoid. I just can't dig into the meat of the sound on horns with nickel slides (both the TB47 or 62). It feels like I'm stuck floating on the surface when I want to fully submerge if that makes any sense. That's fine for me if I'm playing lead in the big band or playing in a more commercial setting on a mic, but a big no go for me on large bore horns and basses.

Someone else was there (I think he is a forum member) and while he sounded much better on the Shires than his old horn, the sound really blossomed when I suggested to try a brass slide. For me it's the same story on the Friedman Bach horns.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I’m the same with nickel slides on any symphonic trombone. The nickel slide helps with clear articulations, but I feel like my sound can get brittle easily. The heavier brass slides seem to anchor my sound better.

I love the Shires Chicago bell when it is paired with a brass slide and bass crook. I find it to be a flexible bell with the right slide. I just don’t have $5000+ sitting around to buy one!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
aasavickas

Post by aasavickas »

I didn't care for the nickel slides on the shires I tried. The sound breaks up way too quickly for my taste. I can overdrive a brass slide just fine when I need to. In general, I don't care for nickel slides on anything bigger than a 2b sized horn.

Haven't tried the Chicago model horn but I imagine it plays like a dual bore. Kinda subdued articulations and takes tons of air, probably tends to have too much core so you might need to brighten it up with your chops/mouth. Some folks dig it, but I prefer the smallest equipment I can get away with and something set up in the middle so I can push it either way depending on the gig.

I think part of the reason Jay Friedman does it and probably popularized the idea of playing a .562 bass slide on a tenor, is that the hall he plays in is kinda dead so he has to play really loud, the large slide allows for louder playing without the sound getting too harsh for orchestral playing. Also, he doesn't have to play much so endurance is not an issue for him because, in general, orchestral gigs are mostly counting and soft playing with occasional loud parts. As opposed to say a Latin or big band, which requires strong attacks, playing on the front of the beat, and loud volumes for multiple sets. Also, the mellowing of the articulations help keep him from playing too aggressively in an orchestral setting.

That said, everyone is different so go try it one out first. The most important thing is to get something that works for you and makes it easier to play with the sound you want with the least amount of work so that you can focus on making music the way you want. IMHO
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

aasavickas wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:36 pm Haven't tried the Chicago model horn but I imagine it plays like a dual bore. Kinda subdued articulations and takes tons of air, probably tends to have too much core so you might need to brighten it up with your chops/mouth.
I agree with this, but I think that's the reason they pair it with the nickel slide. The nickel brightens it up and gives some life to the articulations.

Not that I like it either.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
WiltshireBone

Post by WiltshireBone »

FWIW - I have a standard spec Chicago model (Axial valve) and another Shires set-up with TW47GLW slide/Dual Bore rotor/TX tuning slide (and a TY which doesn't work quite as well)/T115GVNY (Gold Vintage new York Bell).

Some observations (with Bach 4G mouthpiece) on swapping over slides and trying different set-ups on this and other Shires - nickel does brighten things up a bit as does a lightweight slide but not a gigantic difference. Arguably the nickel slide is a bit more brittle at high volume - would love to try with a standard TB47 and see if that changes. The TW47GLW doesn't quite have the brittleness of the nickel slide but isn't as open in the bottom register. Overall, and as expected, the Chicago model does play a little bigger than the GVNY / TW set-up I have.

Don't forget that whilst the Chicago model uses a bass crook the slides themselves are 0.547. It isn't a bass trombone slide and doesn't really hamper the top end much, however it does play differently in the top register - perhaps a little less focus, though no harder to play. Pretty much as expected. A narrow Conn type slide adds even more focus at the top end but imo loses some of the free blowing nature of the instrument.
Lastly, the choice of valve will also make a difference - the rotary is slightly more stuffy than the axial especially in the low register, and FWIW I think the TB slide and the rotary is a slight mismatch as the standard Chicago Axial/TB set-up excels at the bottom end. A great 2nd trombone set-up or lead if you have the chops.

If you get the chance, try the Chicago model with a standard TW as well as the TB slide, but overall it is an awesome trombone.
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

If it's any help, I play basically the same thing, but a custom version that's actually a Mt.Vernon/Corporation cross-breed Shires. The shires can be great horns if built right... I really like mine.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
tombone21

Post by tombone21 »

BrianJohnston wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:03 pm If it's any help, I play basically the same thing, but a custom version that's actually a Mt.Vernon/Corporation cross-breed Shires. The shires can be great horns if built right... I really like mine.
mulaney.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

I have a custom horn from shires circa 2015, and I designed it similarly to the old Bachs. Everything from the taper, to the slide etc. The major difference is the tru-bore which is a much more free-blowing valve than anything i've tried before it, and it should be free-blowing because you mostly use the valve for the low range!
Fort Wayne Philharmonic

Return to “Instruments”