What slides fit JinBao trombones?

MrWatermelon

What slides fit JinBao trombones?

Post by MrWatermelon »

I have a Mack brass bass trombone and I'm not a fan of the slide, does anyone know a if Shires/Edwards/Bach/Conn/whatever bass slide will fit in the receiver?
Mv2541

Re: What slides fit JinBao trombones?

Post by Mv2541 »

You mean it's slow/scratchy or you don't like the way it plays? If you're gonna drop ~$800 on some used Shires/Edwards slide I would just buy that Holton/Bach in the classifieds and have (probably) a much better horn for not much more money.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

I used a mack brass bass bell section with my shires tenor slide for a bit as my first “bass.” It fit pretty well.

I have no idea if it will work in your case.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
MrWatermelon

Post by MrWatermelon »

I don't like the way it plays, I can't spend $2000+ on a new trombone yet either.
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

MrWatermelon wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:34 pm I don't like the way it plays, I can't spend $2000+ on a new trombone yet either.
I think that frankenbass was going for around $1200, and recently a used Eastman went for around the same ish. There are definitely horns in that price range that will beat slapping a boutique slide on a Jinbao bell section.
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
MrWatermelon

Post by MrWatermelon »

Mv2541 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:05 pm
MrWatermelon wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:34 pm I don't like the way it plays, I can't spend $2000+ on a new trombone yet either.
I think that frankenbass was going for around $1200, and recently a used Eastman went for around the same ish. There are definitely horns in that price range that will beat slapping a boutique slide on a Jinbao bell section.
I appreciate your opinion but purchasing a new instrument is not the route I will be taking, for now.
SlideCrook

Post by SlideCrook »

Which model Jin Bao trombone do you have? Do you have any idea of which trombone they copied? I would try one from the original design’s make. I have a Jin Bao yamaclone that fits a Yamaha slide. And I think the 7B copy fits a King bass slide. Good luck, don’t waste a lot of money doing this. You run a risk of throwing off the geometry and intended proportions and totally wrecking your intonation, how partials line up, and make your horn unusable.

Have you tried sending the slide to a slide tech for some attention and getting the stock lead pipe removed so you could slip a brass ark lead pipe in?

What bothered me was that you included Shires and Edwards in your list of possible slides. Don’t put a Viper engine in your Neon. Save up the cash and pick up extra hours. Buy a used, tried and true bass trombone for $1500 or less. I’m not knocking your Jin Bao, but it fills a role that you seem to be outgrowing, and you are expecting too much from it.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

The cheapest thing to do would be to call Tom and get a real replacement. No sense in trying to shoehorn an expensive slide onto a Chinese bell. How much could a new slide for a $900 horn be?
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

hyperbolica wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:27 pm The cheapest thing to do would be to call Tom and get a real replacement. No sense in trying to shoehorn an expensive slide onto a Chinese bell. How much could a new slide for a $900 horn be?
But will a replacement slide fix the problem? If there were a mechanical issue, sure - but:
MrWatermelon wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:34 pmI don't like the way it plays,
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

MrWatermelon wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:35 pm
Mv2541 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:05 pm

I appreciate your opinion but purchasing a new instrument is not the route I will be taking, for now.

"Save up the cash and pick up extra hours. Buy a used, tried and true bass trombone for $1500 or less."

"No sense in trying to shoehorn an expensive slide onto a Chinese bell."

If you aren't ready to purchase now, I would really reccomend just dealing with the slide it has and wait until you are in the position to get a better horn. Three of us have made the same point, but obviously you gotta do what you wish with the information.
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

You're setting yourself up for disappointment. Trying to salvage this abomination of a horn is simply throwing good money after bad.

Nobody here is going to try to make you feel better about doing the foolish thing. Do the right thing and save up for a real instrument.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Lipstick on a pig.

Return to “Instruments”