is this an Edwards alto?

heinzgries

is this an Edwards alto?

Post by heinzgries »

tbonesullivan

Re: is this an Edwards alto?

Post by tbonesullivan »

Doesn't really look like one. I remember them having two bell braces, with attachment nuts at the bell end. Maybe it was made using an edwards alto bell?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Definitely looks custom to me. It does have that Edwards style oval bell brace. Someone removed the top one if it was originally Edwards (or it was a prototype or something). See how it slots into a "pocket" on the bell? The tenon is different as well and the slides also have threaded bell nuts, this one looks friction fit.

Google Translate indicates they say:
"An invoice from the National Theater can be submitted on request."

You might want to ask for that because that should wrap up any ambiguity as to what it is (unless its a forgery of course).
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I play an Edwards alto - this could be one, but if it is, a previous owner has modified the connections from the neckpiece to the bell, and the left-hand grip area of the slide looks to be a bit different. Like someone else said, there is a brace that is missing (from a stock Edwards). That also looks like it might be a different leadpipe (no threads?). The pics were small, and some details were hard to make out.

Edwards doesn't make these anymore - they are supposed to be introducing a new model of alto, but there's no news on their site as to a timeline. If you wanted to be able to restore it to a more stock configuration, I wonder if they still have parts for a horn they aren't making anymore. I'm pretty sure that the leadpipes are the same as their .500 bore small bore horns.

Jim Scott
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Speaking of which, I wonder how Edwards is doing now. It feels like Shires became more in style.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Neo Bri wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:55 pm Speaking of which, I wonder how Edwards is doing now. It feels like Shires became more in style.
I was thinking the complete opposite thing. I've been seeing less and less shires around.
Specialk3700

Post by Specialk3700 »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:05 pm
Neo Bri wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:55 pm Speaking of which, I wonder how Edwards is doing now. It feels like Shires became more in style.
I was thinking the complete opposite thing. I've been seeing less and less shires around.
I think it really depends on your location
Engineering student with a trombone problem.
Edwards B454
Shires Bravo
Yamaha 354
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Seems like age plays a factor too. I know a number of older players who got their Edwards before Shires was even a company. Also depends if you're in a college town. There's been a certain degree of zeitgeist within each academic community that I've observed that may or may not be influenced by the professor (e.g. that guy at... North Texas(?) back in the 90s who wouldn't graduate people if they didn't have Joe Alessi's exact Edwards setup vs. someone like who I studied with who focused less on the equipment itself, etc.) and or some of the players in the studio. A star player in a studio may nudge people in one direction or another just because they sound good on what they do (or because they are opinionated too as well). There was a bit of anti-Yamaha sentiment at my undergraduate from some of the players which made it slightly difficult to play a Yamaha because things got blamed on it... although it wasn't the best fit for me so it wasn't entirely unfounded.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Specialk3700 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:14 pm
harrisonreed wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:05 pm

I think it really depends on your location
I agree with that too. Lots of Shires on the east coast!
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I have noticed less Edwards parts and horns for sale then the Shires.
I couldn't part with my Edwards stuff either.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Could just be that more people are opting for the T-396A or Getzen custom and private reserve series.

Or maybe with everyone having harmonic braces, they now are spending more time swapping out various pillars, so there are less parts on the market.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Instruments”