Bass Trombone Pedal Range Help

How and what to teach and learn.
basstrombone426

Bass Trombone Pedal Range Help

Post by basstrombone426 »

Hi I'm new here! :) I'm currently a sophomore going into junior in high school and I switched to bass trombone cause I just love the instrument. I practiced on my trigger range and that's all good, but I seem to be having quite a bit of trouble on the pedal range. I get to Bb and A fine and then Ab and G is where I start to crack a lot and the note quality and attack isn't the same. It's been worrying me because I want to be a competitive player in region. Any suggestions? I play on a Schilke 59.

Thanks! :)
Doug Elliott

Re: Bass Trombone Pedal Range Help

Post by Doug Elliott »

Take your time and don't try to rush it. Lots of players get into trouble trying for a great pedal range when their chops are simply not ready. Work on what you have, then VERY gradually add a 1/2 step at a time. That's a range where everybody has trouble getting past Ab and G.

Just spend a lot of time on Bb, A, and Ab. Eventually the Ab will be OK and you can start working on G.

If you want more specific advice, I give lessons by Skype. Even one lesson will get you on the right track to improve things now and avoid problems later.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
sf105

Post by sf105 »

Agree with Doug (he knows his stuff). A Shilke 59 is more than adequate for playing down in that register.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Doug Elliott wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:34 pm Take your time and don't try to rush it. Lots of players get into trouble trying for a great pedal range when their chops are simply not ready. Work on what you have, then VERY gradually add a 1/2 step at a time. That's a range where everybody has trouble getting past Ab and G.

Just spend a lot of time on Bb, A, and Ab. Eventually the Ab will be OK and you can start working on G.

If you want more specific advice, I give lessons by Skype. Even one lesson will get you on the right track to improve things now and avoid problems later.
Thrice agreed. I always emphasize this with students. Often, students can't even get into the pedal properly. I use the same approach as Doug, but when students can't get into the pedal range properly I start that process around low Bb, work all the way down to low E and then, if a trigger is available, keep extending chromatically. It takes a while and there's usually no rush.
basstrombone426

Post by basstrombone426 »

Thank you guys for the help! :) Are there any other exercises that I could use to help my process?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I did the Remington exercise. The one that goes Bb-A-Bb-Ab-Bb-G-Bb ... in the pedal range. Also F-E-F-Eb, etc. in the trigger pedal range. I hope you get the idea.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
GBP

Post by GBP »

Start with a pedal note that sounds good, start the pedanote and then glissando into the lower register
BassBoneWadie99

Post by BassBoneWadie99 »

Strongly agree with all these suggestions!

Also, Teele(s) (Methods from Phil Teele's Advanced Embouchure Studies for Bass Trombobe) are also a great tool to get these extreme pedals!

I did a lot of Remington exercises in the pedal range and was finally able to get all the pedals. Also if all goes accordingly, you could get a good double pedal Bb using both valves slightly past seventh position. Also, I listened to a lot of Phil Teele in his role in various film soundtracks and even his CD "Low and Outside" which has some great pedals.

Not to mention, you have a nice all round semi-large piece! The Schilke 59 can really give you the real beef you need in the low and pedal range from jazz, orchestra, and beyond (I had mine since late sophomore - junior year of high school.)

And yes, Mr. Elliot is the man for these kind of things! I had a Skype advice from him about a few years back, very knowledgeable guy! :good:
Bone (Bass) :
Getzen 1062FD - Schilke 60
Scotzen

Post by Scotzen »

Though there are a lot of great exercises to use. The book that help me the most is Eric Klay’s book. I also do scales both down into the range from tha staff and starting at the bottom of my range.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”