changing the stand height

How and what to teach and learn.
timothy42b

changing the stand height

Post by timothy42b »

I play mostly straight out, and don't have the best vision. So that's a bit of a challenge. I can't play above or below the stand, so I play to the left, and use single vision glasses. I still struggle in less than perfect light.

But the stand height has been stable for several years. I push it all the way down, and that has worked at home and for the three bands I play or sub with.

Weirdly though, a week ago I started back with the summer band, and put the stand up two inches. Same thing happened with the other band (I'm helping them out with one concert this summer) and Saturday with the bone choir I put it up two inches, and then another two inches.

I wonder if my horn angle is changing a bit? Or my posture, I've lost a bit of weight.
baileyman

Re: changing the stand height

Post by baileyman »

Same for me, almost exactly, though I think it is my eyes.

Stand up and to the right is the only way I can both see and get an open bell. When young I would put the stand low on the below riser or put the music on the floor, and that was great, but no more!
tctb

Post by tctb »

Perhaps it's an age thing . I do exactly the same thing now although for me it's to clear the varifocal bit of my glasses which affects the lower part of my field of view.
I also modified one of my stands so that the music plate sits to the left of centre instead of in the middle .
I also find it easier to play with the bell facing forwards rather than down .
If I had known trombones were this much fun , I would have got one sooner! :cool:
jph

Post by jph »

I have exactly the same problem. I ditched my smaller frame/"progressive" lenses for a bigger frame/"Single" vision pair (as you are doing) when I play the horn. Due to hypothyroidism, the vision can get blurry on an "unpredicted" basis, especially when I get tired. I find trying to get a straight line between my eyes to the stand helps the most (i.e. not looking down, or up from the stand). This means a higher stand position, with the bell positioned to the left of the stand (as you are doing).
jph

Post by jph »

One more obvious point, I think: a music stand light is a must.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”