Using Abersold Books 1 & 24

How and what to teach and learn.
PhilipEdCarlson

Using Abersold Books 1 & 24

Post by PhilipEdCarlson »

Who's into the Abersold System?

Book 1 has a set of 20 exercises with play along tracks to play 8 bars of each exercise in each of three keys (F-7, Eb-7 & D-7). I've always wondered why these three keys instead of all 12. Now that i have Book 24 with a track of all Dorian scales for 16 bars each, wouldn't it be better to use that track and do the exercises in all keys?
Philip Carlson
TR-181, 72H, 88HCL, 32H, 30H, 4H, 50's Super, 40's Super, Buescher True-Tone 410 & The Buescher, Constellation Euph, Getzen Severenson
Matt K
Verified

Re: Using Abersold Books 1 & 24

Post by Matt K »

Book 1 was intended to be rather basic --- potentially even for people who had never played all 12 keys. Book 24 is a little more advanced, thus the 12 keys. Is that 'Major & Minor'? If I recall, it also has the major keys too. That is one of the cool things about the Aebsersold books. They do a good job at giving you patterns that apply someone universally so that you can use exercises from one in another. That's a fantastic use of them actually because of some of the things we talked about today. The more you use your noggin to find patterns between disparate things, the better you get at recognizing forms & patterns. Transposition is especially good at that. If you can get those patterns from the three keys into all 12, you're doing quite good!

Return to “Teaching & Learning”