Method Books

How and what to teach and learn.
Davidus1

Method Books

Post by Davidus1 »

What method books do you recommend for players with experience. (i.e. crossing over from tuba) I have an Arban Tuba Method but was wondering what the recommendations are. I was thinking of getting the Schlossberg studies and Kopprasch. I have the Bordogni/Rochut etudes already. Would appreciate your recommendations. Thanks.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
BGuttman

Re: Method Books

Post by BGuttman »

Go on IMSLP and get the Blazhevich School for Trombone and the Mantia Trombone Virtuoso. At one time they had the LaFosse method, but it seems to have been taken down. Note that Schlossberg and Chimera are available there for free as well.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

BGuttman wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:51 pm Go on IMSLP and get the Blazhevich School for Trombone and the Mantia Trombone Virtuoso. At one time they had the LaFosse method, but it seems to have been taken down. Note that Schlossberg and Chimera are available there for free as well.
Thank you. I will definitely check that out. Much appreciated.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

I recently had a period where I was able to get back into practicing for 20 minutes a day.

I chose two books: The Charles Colin Lip Slurs and the O. Blume 36 Studies.

A page and a study a day respectfully from each book got me back to speed very quickly. They are both progressively arranged and take you through a lot of keys and ranges as you progress.

Happy practicing!
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

VJOFan wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:16 pm I recently had a period where I was able to get back into practicing for 20 minutes a day.

I chose two books: The Charles Colin Lip Slurs and the O. Blume 36 Studies.

A page and a study a day respectfully from each book got me back to speed very quickly. They are both progressively arranged and take you through a lot of keys and ranges as you progress.

Happy practicing!
Thank you! Not familiar with those studies but will check them out. I'm very limited on practice time like yourself so I appreciate your feedback.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

The Brad Edwards lip slur book is excellent as well. It has some variations you'd never think of on your own. At least I wouldn't have.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

For bass trombone, I really like the Tommy Pederson etudes books. E.g., "Elementary Etudes for Bass Trombone" (https://www.amazon.com/Etudes-Bass-Trom ... 0769225861). I have the elementary and advanced books, and think they're about the best exercises I've come across. Wish the intermediate one was still available.

For bass trombone, the Arban tuba book isn't bad. But I'm not a huge fan of Arban.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, M&K GR Nickel leadpipe
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

timothy42b wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 6:16 am The Brad Edwards lip slur book is excellent as well. It has some variations you'd never think of on your own. At least I wouldn't have.
Thank you. I was not familiar with these.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

ghmerrill wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:21 am For bass trombone, I really like the Tommy Pederson etudes books. E.g., "Elementary Etudes for Bass Trombone" (https://www.amazon.com/Etudes-Bass-Trom ... 0769225861). I have the elementary and advanced books, and think they're about the best exercises I've come across. Wish the intermediate one was still available.

For bass trombone, the Arban tuba book isn't bad. But I'm not a huge fan of Arban.
Thanks Gary!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
afugate

Post by afugate »

Brad Edwards has a new book out that might be of interest:

The Intermediate Trombonist!
Building Blocks for Tone Technique
Done with your beginning book?
Not quite ready for advanced books?
Here’s your answer!

http://trombonezone.org/books/int/

I purchased a copy for one of my students, a freshman in high school. I've been very pleased with it so far and plan to make it a regular part of my teaching list.

--Andy in OKC
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

afugate wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 6:00 am Brad Edwards has a new book out that might be of interest:

The Intermediate Trombonist!
Building Blocks for Tone Technique
Done with your beginning book?
Not quite ready for advanced books?
Here’s your answer!

http://trombonezone.org/books/int/

I purchased a copy for one of my students, a freshman in high school. I've been very pleased with it so far and plan to make it a regular part of my teaching list.

--Andy in OKC
Nice!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb

Return to “Teaching & Learning”