High schooler looking at music schools

How and what to teach and learn.
herrerabone

High schooler looking at music schools

Post by herrerabone »

As an aspiring high schooler, I plan to audition for music programs next year with the intention of either a trombone performance or jazz studies degree. Because of this, I'm starting to look at schools so that I can potentially have a lesson with college professors and check out campuses. Are there any schools that should be on my radar? I'm from Pennsylvania, so the furthest west I would (probably) consider would be around Chicago and the furthest south would be Miami :good: But, of course, if there was a really great opportunity somewhere further away I would consider it. Thanks for your input.
tbathras

Re: High schooler looking at music schools

Post by tbathras »

University of Southern Maine is quite nice. The program is growing, so there are lots of opportunities to play. I know in some larger schools, only the most senior and very top players get to play in the larger ensembles, leaving most to practice alone in the practice rooms. I have no idea if it’s a fit, but it’s worth looking at.
--
Bass Trombone
Casco Bay Wind Symphony
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Listed two posts above yours on the forum page, there is a discussion about trombone careers.
Good thing to think about.
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

There are plenty of good instrumental programs within reasonable distance of you. I would include Pennsylvania state schools in your search (main campus and others) to increase your financial flexibility.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Duquesne and CMU would definitely be on my list if I were in PA. CMU is a relatively prestigious school and so a degree from there, especially a double major or even a minor in something else would go probably a little farther than other schools.

I know a few players who have done Miami. I think it's the Frost school of music, ironically named given the location. THey all did composition if I'm not mistaken but they seem to have liked their time there.

Shenandoah Conservatory is relatively inexpensive (they do not charge out-of-state tuition) and when I went there a few years ago had scholarship opportunities. I thoroughly enjoyed their jazz program in particular, though I was 'officially' there as a euphonium player because of an assistantship to play it in their wind ensemble. Craig Fraedrich was the director of the big band at the time and I studied with him a little and thoroughly enjoyed it. He's a great pedagogue. I can't speak specifically to the low brass department as I believe they've gone through some changes recently. I heard Dr. Niess is the full time professor now. I studied jazz with him when our schedules permitted and really liked studying with him as well. If you're interested in jazz, that could be a cool setup sine he obviously is accomplished in both areas but being in the blues has emphasized that idiom, which is seemingly the reverse polarity you normally get in an academic setting.

WVU might be worth checking out for you too. WVU is the "cheapest in-state New Jersey school" in the sense that a lot of NJ players go there because Rutgers is quite expensive and out-of-state for WVU is relatively cheap... although WVU's tuition has be rising though due to a few factors that aren't really relevant but they aren't hard to find if you search about it. They have a new jazz director who is really active. Their jazz department is always playing somewhere. I did their big band last semester as they needed a bass bone player and it worked with my work schedule well. I can't speak with much to their low brass department as the structure has changed since I graduated in 2012. They used to have an arrangement where you worked with Dr. Jackson and Dr. Plitnik in some kind of rotation but I don't know if that's still how it works. Dr. Jackson is largely administrative now (Vice Provost of the Music school!) Dr. Plitnik has really grown the program from when I started in 2008, where there were, if I recall correctly, 2 new students (for which I was one!). I was in the trombone choir last year in Spring and they had pretty good numbers.

If you really want to do jazz though, I also wouldn't count out North Texas, whose reputation speaks for itself. It obviously outside of your geographical area but certainly at least worth sending a e-mail to see what's up. Alan Baylock is the director of the 1 o'clock band down there now. He was at Shenandoah Conservatory when I was there. Really great to work with him too.

The Indiana School of Music is also potentially worth checking into and within your geographical boundary (barely!). They're one of the biggest music schools in the country and I've also heard good things about their program.
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

Matt K wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:18 am Duquesne and CMU would definitely be on my list if I were in PA. CMU is a relatively prestigious school and so a degree from there, especially a double major or even a minor in something else would go probably a little farther than other schools.
We visited both schools while daughter was on the PONY tour. (music programs in PA OH NY) They both have a lot to offer. In addition to their standard BFA program, CMU offers customizable interdisciplinary, intercollegiate programs where you major in music and something else.

The trombone professor at Duquesne is Jim Nova. We know him as a monster player and arranger, but I've heard nothing but good things about him as a teacher. Duquesne is kind of a weird campus, high on a hill, overlooking the Monongahela River. CMU is rather spacious for an urban campus.

Something to keep in mind: you will probably have classmates applying to a dozen or more schools. As an aspiring music student you will not have time to do this between auditions and extra applications and essays they'll have you write. Do as much research as you can before you get to senior year. In many programs it will be hard to formally play both jazz and classical. (Of course you can do whatever you want in your (limited) free time.)
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I've known a few people who went to both. I know that CMU also has good public infrastructure and is conveniently located to housing and Heinz Hall via bus. Evidently you can live there fairly easily without access to a car, or so Iv'e been told. I know less about Duquense.
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

Matt K wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:11 am I've known a few people who went to both. I know that CMU also has good public infrastructure and is conveniently located to housing and Heinz Hall via bus. Evidently you can live there fairly easily without access to a car, or so Iv'e been told. I know less about Duquense.
Duquesne is walking distance from downtown (pronounced dahntahn) and Heinz Hall.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

StevenC wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:58 am
Matt K wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:11 am I've known a few people who went to both. I know that CMU also has good public infrastructure and is conveniently located to housing and Heinz Hall via bus. Evidently you can live there fairly easily without access to a car, or so Iv'e been told. I know less about Duquense.
Duquesne is walking distance from downtown (pronounced dahntahn) and Heinz Hall.
Yinzers got some weird words goin' on up dare!

Return to “Teaching & Learning”