Trombone Festival Clinic!

How and what to teach and learn.
demaxx1

Trombone Festival Clinic!

Post by demaxx1 »

Hi All, I went to a trombone Festival today in Greensboro NC, It was great, I didn't get to stay for all of it, but I did get to several clinics. Me being a returning player after a 25 year hiatus, I went to the ones with warm ups, and drills. One of the ones that I went to was on improving tone. The Instructor was telling us to work on a round "O" sound! It seems for me to do this I am dropping the back of my tongue down, opening my throat more. I have to admit it does really change my tone, but feels really awkward.

So my question first is am I doing this correct? Second will the awkwardness go away the longer I try to do this? Third did I misunderstand his instructions all together?

Thanks
Neo Bri

Re: Trombone Festival Clinic!

Post by Neo Bri »

It's a very complicated system, the system of embouchure, tongue and its height, throat, etc.

I'm not a huge advocate of dropping the jaw or anything like that, and I'm glad you didn't mention it. A lot of people do mention that and feel like it's a good solution for changing sound for the better. I believe it's a good solution for ruining the potential of your chops.

So, when you're opening your throat up some, yes the sound should change. The trick is really to get your tongue height working within this system and associating the height with the range you're playing.

ahhh - low range
eeee - high range

Start trying to make that part of your playing. Lip slurs are the best way. You can improvise slurs or you can buy a book. Charles Colins' "Advanced Lip Flexibilities" really gets into the tongue height thing and has tons of slurs written out.

Hope this helps.
demaxx1

Post by demaxx1 »

Neo Bri, He did give us a handout. It described balance! It also went through low notes verses high notes. Low notes being big round like a Yoga exercise ball and and say a F above the staff being like ping pong ball round. I watched him very closely. He appeared on the weak bad tones he was closing every thing off, the good tones you literally see his neck and throat open. Not dropping his jaw. It appeared almost like he was moving his jaw slightly forward!

Speaking of lip slurs in another clinic class we went through an entire lip slur exercise. The Clinician gave very good instructions. Even gave breathing instructions on where were should breath on each lip slur set. I have already been working on lip slurs but not to this extent.

I just don't want to do train to do something that messes up my playing. Our community band director has been telling me how much my tone and timing has improved over the last 6 months. Since I didn't really understand what the instructor was trying to convey to us. I may leave it for now. I am having back surgery in two weeks, after that I am going to invest in some private lessons.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

I think it's insane. And the guy probably has only imaginary ideas about what he or anyone else is doing.

This is by far the best work on the topic:

https://thelasttrombone.com/2017/08/22/ ... y-project/

Meanwhile, lots of long tones and slurs with each lasting for a full breath, paying attention to sound, and about a year of it, and sound will get pretty good. And it may feel nothing like what that guy said.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

demaxx1 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:00 pm Neo Bri, He did give us a handout. It described balance! It also went through low notes verses high notes. Low notes being big round like a Yoga exercise ball and and say a F above the staff being like ping pong ball round. I watched him very closely. He appeared on the weak bad tones he was closing every thing off, the good tones you literally see his neck and throat open. Not dropping his jaw. It appeared almost like he was moving his jaw slightly forward!

Speaking of lip slurs in another clinic class we went through an entire lip slur exercise. The Clinician gave very good instructions. Even gave breathing instructions on where were should breath on each lip slur set. I have already been working on lip slurs but not to this extent.

I just don't want to do train to do something that messes up my playing. Our community band director has been telling me how much my tone and timing has improved over the last 6 months. Since I didn't really understand what the instructor was trying to convey to us. I may leave it for now. I am having back surgery in two weeks, after that I am going to invest in some private lessons.
I certainly wouldn't mind it if you uploaded those handouts. I'd love to see what it's all about. Thanks!
demaxx1

Post by demaxx1 »

I certainly wouldn't mind it if you uploaded those handouts. I'd love to see what it's all about. Thanks!
I don't have a scanner, but I will take some pictures in a bit.

When the Clinicians gave their individual concerts, I will admit he had a great sound and tone. I am not sure he knew how to convey what he was doing. There was one student that asked the question that asked the question and I am paraphrasing. Is good tone more about embrasure or air? The instructor kind of stumbled over the answer. I found his answer puzzling! Paraphrasing again! He finally said that it all started from the top with the proper amount of air support. So it was both!

I will post picture of his handouts.

<Edit: Fixed quote>
demaxx1

Post by demaxx1 »

Neo Bri wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:38 am
demaxx1 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:00 pm Neo Bri, He did give us a handout. It described balance! It also went through low notes verses high notes. Low notes being big round like a Yoga exercise ball and and say a F above the staff being like ping pong ball round. I watched him very closely. He appeared on the weak bad tones he was closing every thing off, the good tones you literally see his neck and throat open. Not dropping his jaw. It appeared almost like he was moving his jaw slightly forward!

https://trombonechat.com/download/file. ... view&id=63 https://trombonechat.com/download/file. ... view&id=62 https://trombonechat.com/download/file. ... view&id=61
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Gracias!

Return to “Teaching & Learning”