Reaching out to Band Directors in a new city

How and what to teach and learn.
BassTrombone89

Reaching out to Band Directors in a new city

Post by BassTrombone89 »

Hey all!

So I'm in the first year of grad school working on a trombone Pedagogy degreea. I'm finally at a point where I'm settled in the degree/work schedule and would love to snag some students.

Last year I had about 20 students from being sent everybody by all the band directors I knew already being from the area working at the local music store.

Now being an outsider in a new city, I'm looking for thoughts and ideas on reaching out to Band Directors to teach/give Masterclasses while I'm here. I've been able to snag 2 students so far with minimal leg work but would prefer closer to 10-15.

What might make that difficult is summer being around the corner and I have sent in applications to Interlochen as well as Blue lake to hopefully snag an instructor spot in their summer music camps.

Looking forward to seeing the hiveminds ideas on this.
MM in Trombone Pedagogy at Missouri State. (In Progress)
BM in Trombone Performance at Washburn University

"In learning you will teach, and in teaching you will learn" - Phil Collins
Neo Bri

Re: Reaching out to Band Directors in a new city

Post by Neo Bri »

I would love to see some good replies here. Looking forward to some good posts.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Looks like crickets so far. My only input at this point of the school year is to contact the local music stores.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

I haven't taken on any students since moving, but I'm a firm believer that gigs always lead to gigs. Get yourself out and playing with other people and someone will inevitably ask.

Matt
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

Here is my 2 cents for what its worth :idea: :
If you have not already, before school starts maybe hit the SPS website and contact the Fine Arts Director or Super. They might be able to help with an email list for an intro blast to all the band directors in the district. Or you could go school by school through the contact list.
Springfield is one of the largest districts in MO so opportunity to build a student clientele should be there. Especially with a little word of mouth. (Or a little old school face to face with donuts. :good: )
Also you could do the same thing with Joplin if you do not mind driving out once a week.
Connecting with a music store there might work well if you have the time and reliable transport.
Check out Palen Music Centers. They are one of the big providers in this part of the world. They have locations in Sprfld and Joplin and are usually pleasant to deal with. (Ok so that was more than 2 cents....)
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...

Return to “Teaching & Learning”