Changing alot

How and what to teach and learn.
Elow

Changing alot

Post by Elow »

So, i know about a couple issues i have that will take some time to adjust and fix, and i havent really had time or motivation to fix them. Last year i noticed how bad my tonguing actually was, i max out single tonguing at sixteenths at 100 bpm. Also, i have some issues with flexibility and ive found a better position for my mouthpiece placement. Ive known that i need to work on it, but for about a year and a half ive constantly had some type of important thing to audition for and i couldnt really take a couple weeks to change how i do something. I was mainly afraid of a couple week period of just sounding bad as i change something. Now that corona hit, i feel like i have time, because nothing else is really happening. Ive worked out my mouthpiece placement and after doing peanut butter long tones (Mainly the triplets going from pedal Bb to high Bb) for what feels like multiple hours a day, i think my flexibility is okay, not great but still better than any other high schooler. My question for the forum is has anyone else done this pre corona when they also worked up something else? I normally have a competition or solo or some audition that i need to work up every month or every other month, and most my time on that. Id really like to know how someone would be able to practically relearn something, while also working up something and sounding not bad.
Vegasbound

Re: Changing alot

Post by Vegasbound »

Have you been working with your teacher during these changes?

If you haven't already I would strongly suggest having a lesson with one of the great teachers we have on here such as Doug Elliott, or Chris Stearn to make sure what you think you have achieved by moving is in act reality
Elow

Post by Elow »

Vegasbound wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:22 am Have you been working with your teacher during these changes?

If you haven't already I would strongly suggest having a lesson with one of the great teachers we have on here such as Doug Elliott, or Chris Stearn to make sure what you think you have achieved by moving is in act reality
I brought the issue up with my euphonium teacher, and he told me shifting my placement might help and i think it did, or maybe i actually started caring about it. I plan on it when i get my bass. Ive been wanting to for a bit, and now i have money so im going to try it out. These past couple of months ive been on a equipment spree so now im going to try and focus on the me machine. For when i do get a lesson, what should expect? Can doug just look at me playing and tell me whats wrong? Or should i start find smaller things and tell him that?
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

I will leave Doug to answer in detail, but yes he can tell a lot from just seeing you play
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

You don't need to tell me anything or decide on your own what needs fixing. I'll see it.

I will also say that choosing equipment when your chops aren't right is a bad idea. Fix chops first, then you'll have a better perspective on what you need.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

With any good teacher your first lesson is an evaluation. Letting the teacher see where you are and what needs/can be fixed or improved. You probably need to have at least one concrete goal to help the teacher focus your study. Trying to fix everything at once doesn't work.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Teaching & Learning”