Repertoire: Favourite Solo Collections

How and what to teach and learn.
islandtrombone

Repertoire: Favourite Solo Collections

Post by islandtrombone »

Hi everyone,

For my late high school / early university students I've always recommended Henry Charles Smith's Solos for the Trombone Player as a nice solo collection. I'd love to hear from students this age, or from other teachers, if you have any other favourite solo collection(s) that you use.

Thanks!
TheCollector

Re: Repertoire: Favourite Solo Collections

Post by TheCollector »

As college freshman usually we do not grab collections and only grab specific standard repertoire such as the David concerto or morceau symphonique. However I do recommend the J.S arbans method book edited by Joe alessi not only is it a large method book but it also includes duets and solos such as the coveted carnival of Venice. One might call the book the trombone Bible.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

TheCollector wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:22 pm As college freshman usually we do not grab collections and only grab specific standard repertoire such as the David concerto or morceau symphonique. However I do recommend the J.S arbans method book edited by Joe alessi not only is it a large method book but it also includes duets and solos such as the coveted carnival of Venice. One might call the book the trombone Bible.
I just got my hands on a copy of the Alessi Arban book, my friend's copy, and I must say, I'm glad I got to look through it. The paper was the thinnest, CHEAPEST paper I've ever seen used in any book. But especially for a music book. Print quality was terrible and looked like Xerox.

It had a legit, glossy cover, and was spiral bound. Looked like a real copy. Until I opened it up.

Was the copy I had seen a pirated copy, or can anyone else attest to the use of tissue paper and xerox machines to print the Alessi Arban book?

Also,

Who is "We"? Speak for yourself. In my day, college freshman were buying the Lion King Solo Collection Book For Trombone. Way better than playing an E-flat scale and calling that a concerto, or repeating the entire first movement as the third movement and thinking that will trick the audience into thinking they just heard a concerto. Hakuna Matata doesn't pretend, yo!?! It just rolls hard the whole way.

https://www.halleonard.com/product/3035 ... r-trombone

I dare any college (not conservatory) freshman to make any simple melody sound good and believable. Not likely!!
afugate

Post by afugate »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:13 am I just got my hands on a copy of the Alessi Arban book, my friend's copy, and I must say, I'm glad I got to look through it. The paper was the thinnest, CHEAPEST paper I've ever seen used in any book. But especially for a music book. Print quality was terrible and looked like Xerox.

It had a legit, glossy cover, and was spiral bound. Looked like a real copy. Until I opened it up.

Was the copy I had seen a pirated copy, or can anyone else attest to the use of tissue paper and xerox machines to print the Alessi Arban book?
It must be a fake.

My copy isn't like that at all. The pages are high quality paper. Bought mine about 5-6 years ago.

--Andy in OKC
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

afugate wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:12 am It must be a fake.

My copy isn't like that at all. The pages are high quality paper. Bought mine about 5-6 years ago.
What he said.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Great! Maybe I'll get my own copy then!

Return to “Teaching & Learning”