Kleinhammer/CSO section “Impressions”

Discuss the people that make the music here.
RustBeltBass

Kleinhammer/CSO section “Impressions”

Post by RustBeltBass »

I am sure this has been discussed in the old forum before, so my apologies for bringing this up again but I keep listening to this amazing recording over and over again.

It is featuring the CSO trombone section and Kleinhammer is soloing. Does anyone know what led the CSO trombones to do that kind of gig ? Are there any similar recordings ?

It is the only recording I know of Mr. Kleinhammer where I hear him “solo”.

:-)
jthomas105

Re: Kleinhammer/CSO section “Impressions”

Post by jthomas105 »

Here is a link on youtube that has two of the six cuts from the album.

I had never heard of this until this post.

Found the album on; discogs.com. There are two copies left, I ordered one and am looking forward to listening to the whole thing.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

That is really cool. When was it released?
BassBoneFL

Post by BassBoneFL »

You all have to remember, the CSO and most of the big US orchestras did not have 52wk seasons or even full time salaries back in the 40s, 50s and early 60s. The CSO section probably did this for the money. I think this was some sort of industrial demo recording for an ad agency.

There was a flute player with Cleveland who painted houses in the off season. Some violinist with the NYPhil drove Cabs. Some CSO members worked in a steel mill. It was a very different world for US orchestras back then. The gig alone wasn't enough to make a living off of. (think about that next time you hear anyone complain about "what has the AFM ever done for us")
Harold Van Schaik
Bass Trombone
The Florida Orchestra
S.E. Shires Artist

Return to “Musicians”