What school symphonic Trombonists attended?

Discuss the people that make the music here.
Noahharry

What school symphonic Trombonists attended?

Post by Noahharry »

At one time on the ttf, there was an amazing google doc with all of the players in a major symphony and where they studied. It is in the archives but the link to the google doc is dead. http://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=401

Does anyone have a real link or another resource that is similar?
Matt K
Verified

Re: What school symphonic Trombonists attended?

Post by Matt K »

That's something that we could add to the wiki here fairly easily. We actually already have the framework for it but haven't added any content to it yet. Maye if people want to post that info here I can update it? I'll do the first one but once I build the table then anyone else will be able to edit it.

-Matt
blast

Post by blast »

Should that read 'all the players in major American symphonies and where in America they studied ' ?

Chris
Noahharry

Post by Noahharry »

blast wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:10 am Should that read 'all the players in major American symphonies and where in America they studied ' ?

Chris
Hey I wasn't just talking about americans. I would love to see where anyone went. I think its a great resource for people looking at schools across the world and its success rate at turning out great and successful players.
blast

Post by blast »

Noahharry wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:55 am
blast wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:10 am Should that read 'all the players in major American symphonies and where in America they studied ' ?

Chris
Hey I wasn't just talking about americans. I would love to see where anyone went. I think its a great resource for people looking at schools across the world and its success rate at turning out great and successful players.

My point was that the thread referred to Americans originally

Chris
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Noahharry wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:55 am

Chris

I also take issue with the notion that being a member of a major symphony defines greatness and success. If anything, that requires defining "major symphony" - I know orchestras that are considered local that play better than some "major" symphonies. The fact that their trombonists are not paid as much and haven't won an international audition to get the job doesn't in and of itself mean they can't play as well or better. Also, while there are of course "great and successful" trombonists in many if not most major symphonies, some of the best trombonists I've ever heard have never won a major symphony job. Conversely, I've heard or met major symphony trombonists that I would never consider hiring for a gig.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Noahharry

Post by Noahharry »

LeTromboniste wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:21 pm
Noahharry wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:55 am Hey I wasn't just talking about americans. I would love to see where anyone went. I think its a great resource for people looking at schools across the world and its success rate at turning out great and successful players.

I also take issue with the notion that being a member of a major symphony defines greatness and success. If anything, that requires defining "major symphony" - I know orchestras that are considered local that play better than some "major" symphonies. The fact that their trombonists are not paid as much and haven't won an international audition to get the job doesn't in and of itself mean they can't play as well or better. Also, while there are of course "great and successful" trombonists in many if not most major symphonies, some of the best trombonists I've ever heard have never won a major symphony job. Conversely, I've heard or met major symphony trombonists that I would never consider hiring for a gig.
Maybe my phrasing is incorrect, but would you not consider someone who wins a competitive audition successful?
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Noahharry wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:56 pm
Maybe my phrasing is incorrect, but would you not consider someone who wins a competitive audition successful?
Yes, but my point is that it is not the only barometer of success and it's entirely possible to be successful without winning an audition. Also that successfully winning an audition does not automatically mean you're a great musician - it means you are a very solid player who excells in the very specific type of playing and master the specific skillset required to win those auditions. Of course you can do that and also be a great musician, but it's by no means a given.

Many very good trombonists never win big symphony jobs because they don't master that skillset as well as others, yet are world-class players and musicians and great teachers and have very successful careers outside of the big symphony world.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

Back to the original question: Does anyone have the link or the document that featured the schools and their successful students ?
We lost a lot of data from the tromboneforum, quite some nonsense but also some really cool information like this particular link.

Return to “Musicians”