Miles Anderson

Discuss the people that make the music here.
bassbone

Miles Anderson

Post by bassbone »

Just stumbled on this, so I thought I would post it here for others...

Miles Anderson (LA Phil and SF Symphony) has free audio files for his two solo LPs on his website

http://www.trom-bown.com/%28trom-bown%29/Miles_LPs.html

Enjoy
sf105

Re: Miles Anderson

Post by sf105 »

Miles was very nice to me when I was but a student. He let me sit in the control room for a recording he was doing. I also appreciate him for being one of the first to realise that he didn't need a large bore horn once he was playing solo.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Does anybody know how Miles is doing now? I haven't talked to him in years. Super nice guy.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Jimprindle

Post by Jimprindle »

I talked to Miles on the phone a couple of years ago. He moved from Encinitas (San Diego area) to San Francisco. His wife has Parkinson's and as it progressed they moved to be nearer a therapist who specializes in treatment. Most of his time then was as a caregiver. When he moved he sent me a box of music. He hadn't been playing for years but a few years ago I talked him into playing duets for the Unitarian church he attended at a special function. He sounded great.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

One of the best records I have with trombone solo playing is his "Miles Anderson plays his trombone again". I bought that record when I was in U.S the year 1988. He had a wonderful sound on that record. One of the best trombone sounds I've heard on a record.

/Tom
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I haven't looked at my records in years but I know I have his first one, and maybe more.
And there was a trio on CD with his wife and somebody else, but I can't remember much about that right now.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
bassbone

Post by bassbone »

Me finding this link was kind of caused by picking up a copy of the Los Angeles Brass Quintet disc he is on which is also outstanding. That got me thinking about Miles' second solo album which my teacher in undergrad exposed me to.

The Quintet is Mario Guarneri,Thomas Stevens, Ralph Pyle, Mils and Roger Bobo
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

bassbone wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:33 pm Los Angeles Brass Quintet disc - The Quintet is Mario Guarneri, Thomas Stevens, Ralph Pyle, Miles and Roger Bobo

I purchased this on LP shortly after it was first released (~1966). Very inspiring to this then-young trombonist. Except for Ralph Pyle, these guys were very young then - in their 20s. [Mario Guarneri had been a friend of mine, but soon far surpassed anyone I played with - joined the LA Phil at age ~21.] I then purchased the LP "Miles Anderson Plays his Slide Trombone" after its release (~1971). Had the pleasure of meeting Miles a few years later - he was very gracious, and offered to teach me a few lessons (which unfortunately never came to pass). Great guy. Hope he is well at age 82. I'd love to take those lessons! :hi:
bcschipper

Post by bcschipper »

Here is a nice discussion of the history of the LA Brass Quintet among Miles Anderson and two of their other members:

mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

I love that video! He visited my CalArts class (via zoom) last year and it was really amazing to hear him talk about that time period. Could share that video of interested.

Such a special musician!
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
bassbone

Post by bassbone »

cool to see this thread resurrected.

Another interesting video related to this group:

One of the comments appears to be from Roger Bobo saying it was from a tour of Japan in the 60's and played largely on 2 trumpets, Bass trumpet and contrabass trumpet
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

bcschipper wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:03 am Here is a nice discussion of the history of the LA Brass Quintet among Miles Anderson and two of their other members:
I just viewed the entire discussion among these three wonderful musicians (it's a long blow!), and enjoyed watching them dredging up their long-ago memories and their candor. It had special meaning to me, as I had known Mario Guarneri since he was a 15-year old whiz kid on the trumpet, and played with him in a youth symphony orchestra and a trust fund-sponsored big band. Years later I met Miles and almost took some lessons with him; still regret that I didn't. My wife was at the Aspen Music Festival with Roger Bobo (R.I.P.), and enjoyed his Dixieland tuba!

I still have my Crystal LPs of the Los Angeles Brass Quintet. Great listening!

Return to “Musicians”