Hal Crook

Discuss the people that make the music here.
Davidus1

Hal Crook

Post by Davidus1 »

You guys may be familiar with the work of Hal Crook. I was not.......until today. Wow! This guy can play. Check him out. :good:

Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Neo Bri

Re: Hal Crook

Post by Neo Bri »

Hal Crook is a true freak on the trombone. I believe he is one of the unsung heroes on the trombone.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

There are a couple guys out there not worth emulating because their stuff is impossible.
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone »

Hal Crook is also a world-class jazz educator. I'm not sure if the books are still being published, but I have been practicing and teaching out of his books on jazz improvisation for quite a while now. "Ready, Aim, Improvise" is a great text on the topic, if you can find it.

Dave
--
David Wilken
https://wilktone.com
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Wilktone wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 7:11 am Hal Crook is also a world-class jazz educator. I'm not sure if the books are still being published, but I have been practicing and teaching out of his books on jazz improvisation for quite a while now. "Ready, Aim, Improvise" is a great text on the topic, if you can find it.

Dave
Thanks for sharing. I was not aware. If I run across that book I'll snag one. Thanks. David
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
keybone

Post by keybone »

baileyman wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 6:21 am There are a couple guys out there not worth emulating because their stuff is impossible.
From my standpoint, there are A LOT of guys not worth emulating :???: Just sit back, shake my head and enjoy!
SaigonSlide

Post by SaigonSlide »

In my opinion, Hal Crook is first and foremost and artist and a musician. I think he just happened to pick up the trombone! He doesn't play like a trombonist, and his music is one of a kind. The way he has searched for his sound to make the trombone something that can create the sounds he hears in his head is amazing. Read about him. Very interesting life. I think he gave up playing for a time and worked on a corn farm or something.

Return to “Musicians”